About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
NYIC VISTAs are AmeriCorps VISTAs who - through the New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) - engage in a year of full-time paraprofessional service in an organization, where they work on community outreach/education, communications, fundraising, program development and/or volunteer management projects for the purpose of building the organization's capacity to run immigrant-focused anti-poverty programs and services.
Terms of Service
- August 30, 2018 - August 29, 2019
During their year of service, NYIC VISTAs are supported with the following benefits:
- living allowance (a $12,311 - $23,039 stipend depending on the county that the position is based out of)
- choice of healthcare allowance ($7,150) or a health plan
- choice of a year-end education award ($5,815) or cash stipend ($1,803)
- eligibility for benefits such as:
- relocation allowance (up to $1,000)
- settling-in allowance (up to $550)
- child care support (up to $400 per month per child)
- 4-day training on core skills/knowledge areas (e.g., leadership, social justice), NYIC VISTA focus areas (e.g., volunteer management, communications, fundraising) and immigration issues and their intersections with poverty issues
- an AmeriCorps VISTA pre-service orientation facilitated by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS)
- a 2-day mid-year training
- monthly NYIC VISTA webinars
- ongoing check-ins, guidance and support from the NYIC
- group national days of service activities
- networking and celebration activities/events
In order to be eligible for an NYIC VISTA position, one must be:
- 18 years of age or older
- a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident, or have Refugee status, Asylum, Temporary Protected Status (TPS) or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
OPEN NYIC VISTA POSITIONS
There are currently over 20 open NYIC VISTA positions that are scheduled to begin on August 30, 2018.
To learn more about the open positions, please visit http://www.thenyic.org/vista-positions.
- Create a MyAmeriCorps account at https://my.americorps.gov
- Sign into your MyAmeriCorps account
- Go to the MyAmeriCorps page for any NYIC VISTA position that you want to apply for. To find the position's MyAmeriCorps page, either click on the position's hyperlinked title on this page or run a search for the position using the MyAmeriCorps website's search engine (write "NYIC" in the Program field)
- Once you are on the position's MyAmeriCorps page, click on the "Apply Now" button
If you have questions about the NYIC VISTA program, please contact Membership and Capacity Building Senior Manager Kiwi Grady at [email protected] and include the term "NYIC VISTA" in the subject line.