Location: Position is based in New York City and will require regular travel within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as occasional travel to Albany and other regions within New York State.
Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Manager of Community Engagement implements the New York Immigration Coalition’s (NYIC) community outreach and engagement work, with particular emphasis on mass education community events and ensuring the broad support of New York’s many diverse populations, with a particular emphasis on the most underserved communities. The Manager implements, systematizes, and evaluates the NYIC’s community engagement activities, including community meetings and public gatherings, and integrates related partnerships and community needs into the NYIC Advocacy program priorities.
Reports to: Director of Community Engagement
- Plans, organizes and executes community events, e.g. town halls, community forums and service events, to address community needs / concerns and build awareness of NYIC resources.
- Strategizes how to utilize departmental resources to achieve short to long term goals.
- Develops and manages relationships with community allies and identifies relevant new groups to bring into NYIC work as community partners and allies.
- Develops and manages a range of outreach strategies to ensure that underserved, underrepresented community members are informed of their rights and of advocacy priorities affecting their communities.
- Represents the NYIC as an official spokesperson in community events, forums, town halls on behalf of the NYIC.
- Develops and updates training materials and curricula in collaboration with Director of Community Engagement.
- Tailors and delivers trainings and workshops to impacted community members and Community Based Organizations (CBOs).
- Manages grant deliverables and effectively tracks relevant and accurate data.
- Actively participates in fundraising and supports grant research, proposal writing, and reporting on grant deliverables in partnership with the NYIC’s Development Team.
- Provides campaign support to the NYIC’s Advocacy team.
- Contribute to other organizational Rapid Response events and projects as necessary.
- Fosters internal and external relationships to support and strengthen the NYIC.
- Supports the Community Engagement team and works with NYIC advocacy teams to achieve agency priorities including media outreach and development reporting.
- Manages paraprofessional staff and interns, providing guidance and facilitating their professional development.
- Participates in funder visits, drafts proposals and funder reports. Provides data and anecdotes necessary for funder reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience working with diverse, immigrant communities - work as a community organizer an asset.
- Comfort with public speaking and community presentation required.
- Develop strategies to successfully outreach in immigrant communities.
- Strong skills in community organizing, advocacy campaigns, and community advocacy, specifically with underserved & diverse communities.
- Strong team player, demonstrates leadership internally and externally, comfortable taking initiative, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances.
- Experience with fast paced environments and juggling multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Attention to detail and strong follow-through are required.
- Bilingual Spanish-speaker required.
Important facts to know about this opportunity:
- This position is mostly on-site, with a requirement of being in the office 4 days per week and remote 1 day per week.
- The NYIC staff continues to mask while in the office.
- The NYIC has a staff-wide vaccine mandate. Staff must be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination to HR before being onboarded.
Salary: $66,625** **The NYIC has a transparent and equitable salary structure. Starting salaries for each position are set in advance with no room for negotiation.
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid sick time, unlimited vacation leave, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until Filled
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, references, and a brief writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. with the subject line: Manager of Community Engagement, NYC. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible.