Team: Policy and Programs
Reports to: Executive Director
Employment Status: Full Time/Exempt
Salary: $135,000/ year
New York, NY
Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York State that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Vice President of Policy and Programs will play a leadership role within the organization as an integral member of the NYIC’s Executive Leadership Team, helping guide the organization and ensure successful execution of strategic priorities. The VP will direct and oversee the NYIC’s Policy and Programs department, offering strategic guidance and direction across all department programs and efforts. The NYIC Policy department provides policy analysis, support and guidance to promote immigrant integration and immigrant rights policy advocacy. The NYIC Programs department provides critical events, training and other support services for our members organizations and community members.
- Work with the Executive Director and the NYIC Executive Leadership team to identify goals, priorities, strategies, and timelines for the organization and for immigration policy work.
- Play key internal and external leadership role to achieve overall organizational priorities.
- Provide strategic guidance and direction across the NYIC’s policy agenda at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Provide strategic guidance and direction across the NYIC’s Immigrant Services Support work.
- Represent the organization to government officials, peer policymakers, key stakeholders and to the public at large.
- Serve as a spokesperson for NYIC and its campaigns when necessary. Work with the Communications team to do media outreach, provide input for press events, help draft media alerts and releases, and develop talking points.
- Coordinate with the Development team to pursue and develop new funding prospects. Support development efforts and organizational fundraising campaigns.
- Coordinate efforts to stand up “rapid response” efforts when necessary.
Policy and Programs
- Lead and oversee efforts to drive policy development and analysis focusing on a wide range of Federal, state and local issues, such as reforming detention, enforcement, and detainer policies; expanding access to counsel and status; successfully integrating immigrants and ensuring access to health care, education, economic development, and more.
- Monitor overall developments and trends in immigration policy, and analyze political context to identify needs for rapid response and opportunities to move initiatives forward.
- Oversee administrative advocacy efforts, including policy briefings, testifying and lobbying for agencies at federal, state, and local levels around benefits, enforcement, and legal services.
- Support efforts to build and maintain a strong, multi-ethnic and geographically diverse group of member organizations and allies to inform effective policy development.
- Identify opportunities to bring new allies from diverse sectors into Coalition’s work; and forms and manages strategic alliances; strengthens participation from current groups.
- Lead and oversee efforts to ensure coordination of service coordination and delivery for the organization.
- Work to ensure integration of Policy and Programs departments with the organization and its other departments and teams.
- Supervise and direct Policy and Programs departments teams – staff, fellows, and volunteers - to successfully meet NYIC’s goals.
- Manage performance, guide professional development, and provide key feedback for direct reports.
- Oversee the Policy and Programs departments’ overall management, functioning, and success, including leading goal-setting efforts and ensuring adherence to the NYIC’s strategic plan.
- Ensure the Policy and Programs teams are utilizing and adhering to the NYIC’s organizational systems, including task management, lobbying reporting, and database systems.
- At least seven to ten years of professional experience, preferably including two+ years of senior leadership experience in a fast-paced nonprofit.
- Strong management skills, including two+ years of successfully managing a team.
- Excellent judgment, ability to exercise strategic vision, proven ability to identify challenges/threats/opportunities - while also being grounded in practicality.
- Proven expertise in the Policy portfolio and issues that affect immigrant communities.
- Knowledge of and proven expertise in navigating the New York City and New York State policy-making landscape.
- Strong attention to detail is a must, along with the ability to see the big picture and understand the nuance of our programmatic and advocacy work.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse partners, and experience in building coalitions and successfully engaging stakeholders in these coalitions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, public speaking and writing skills. Strong cultural competence and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Strong analytical skills, and the ability to identify potential risks and strategies to mitigate risk.
Important facts to know about this opportunity:
- This position is mostly on-site, with a requirement of being in the office 4 days per week and remote 1 day per week.
- The NYIC staff continues to mask while in the office.
- The NYIC has a staff-wide vaccine mandate. Staff must be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination to HR before being onboarded.
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, unlimited paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
**The NYIC has a transparent and equitable salary structure. Starting salaries for each position are set in advance with no room for negotiation.
Deadline: Friday, December 15, 2023
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Vice President of Policy and Programs.
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination based on race, creed, color, national origin, immigration status or citizenship, sex, age, disability or marital status.