Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The organization has an ambitious affirmative advocacy agenda that includes state funding for all newcomers to thrive, the right to counsel in immigration proceedings, maximum civic participation among immigrant communities in elections, and getting all New Yorkers represented in the redistricting process. Victories have included expanding the right to drivers licenses in New York regardless of immigration status, the New York State DREAM Act that provides tuition assistance to undocumented college students, elimination of the citizenship question from the 2020 Census, and organizing a legal clinic at JFK Airport immediately following the administration’s Muslim ban in 2017. We also have programs promoting access to healthcare, education, and democracy, and promoting civic and community engagement.
The Vice President of Operations will lead all internal operations functions and will also play a key leadership role within the organization, working in close partnership with other members of the NYIC’s executive leadership team to help guide the organization and ensure successful execution of strategic priorities. The Vice President will have key internal responsibilities – overseeing financial management and organizational development, ensuring efficient operations as well as strong governance and compliance. The Vice President in coordination with the Executive Director will also liaise with the Board of Directors.
NYIC has grown rapidly in the past several years. We now have a staff of approximately 50+ dedicated professionals and activists and a budget of almost $12 million. Over the past year we have made a concerted effort to build organizational infrastructure to support our new size. We recently expanded and renovated our office space in midtown Manhattan and we maintain four small field offices across New York State as our operations are statewide. We have also hired staff and built out systems and processes to ensure solid financial management and internal communications. The Vice President of Operations will be responsible to maintain this infrastructure and ensure that the organization has the support it needs to achieve its strategic priorities.
Reports to: Executive Director
- Work with the Executive Director and NYIC executive leadership to identify goals, priorities, strategies, and timelines for the organization.
- Play a key internal leadership role in achieving overall organizational priorities.
- Provide strategic guidance and direction across the NYIC’s overall efforts and to navigate the organizational landscape.
- Play an active role in rapid response, development, communications, and government relations when appropriate to achieve organizational goals.
Internal Operations, Finance, and Governance
- Work with the Executive Director to oversee the organization’s financial health. Oversee financial management including: regularly monitoring financial position, designing and enforcing internal controls, assisting in the development of organizational budget for approval by the Board, overseeing organizational budget, and supervising finance staff and a outsourced accounting firm.
- Supervision of operations staff, ensuring compliance with all legal requirements and best practices, and modeling a culture that embodies the organization’s values.
- Support executive leadership team, in conjunction with the Executive Director, including helping facilitate meetings as appropriate, developing agenda items, and ensuring follow up on tasks.
- Oversee organizational development team, and support efforts to ensure strong inter-organizational communication and cooperation, complex project management, and clear organizational and departmental goal-setting activities.
- Ensure the organization has strong data management systems and appropriate technological tools such as Salesforce and Asana.
- Liaise closely with the Board in collaboration with the Executive Director and plan agendas for Board meetings, develop materials for Board review, and support Board members in their engagement with the NYIC.
- Support the legal needs of the organization including overseeing compliance, negotiating contracts, and retaining and managing legal counsel as needed. Serve as compliance officer, including employment, IRS, and lobbying laws and regulations.
- Oversee risk management, including insurance coverage and other strategies to mitigate risks.
- Oversee use of vendors and consultants.
- Perform similar functions for related organizations, including affiliated 501(c) 4 NYIC Action.
Management & Supervision
- Directly supervise the director of budget and director of organizational development. Oversee their supervision of their respective teams – staff, fellows, and volunteers - to successfully meet NYIC’s goals.
- Manage performance, guide professional development, and provide key feedback for direct reports.
- Oversee teams' and department’s overall management, functioning, and success, including leading goal-setting efforts and ensuring adherence to NYIC’s strategic plan.
- Ensure that teams are utilizing and adhering to the NYIC’s organizational systems, including Asana, Salesforce, and lobbying reporting.
- At least seven to ten years of professional experience, preferably including two+ years of senior leadership experience in a fast-paced nonprofit.
- Deep expertise in all areas of the portfolio (finance, operations, governance/legal affairs, and organizational development).
- Strong attention to detail is a must, along with the ability to see the big picture and understand the nuance of our programmatic and advocacy work.
- Ability to manage large, complex projects, maintaining a strategic view while following through on execution of details.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Strong cultural competence and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Strong analytical skills, and the ability to identify potential risks and strategies to mitigate risk.
- Excellent judgment, the successful candidate will have strategic vision and also be grounded in practicality.
Salary Range: $110K - $115K
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter to [email protected]. All emails must have “VP of Operations” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.