About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State with a $10 million budget. We envision a New York State that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Vice President of Development will be a strong conceptual thinker who will partner with the Executive Director to chart the organization’s fundraising future. The VP will lead the NYIC’s seven person Development team and our fundraising efforts, building and broadening the organization’s funding streams while also developing systems to grow our funding portfolios. The ideal candidate is a social justice warrior who excels at foundation fundraising, donor communications, board development, and face-to-face donor interaction. The VP is a member of the NYIC’s executive leadership team and will play a key leadership role within the organization.
Reports to: Executive Director
- Work with the Executive Director and NYIC executive leadership to identify goals, priorities, strategies, and timelines for the organization.
- Provide strategic guidance and direction on the NYIC’s overall efforts to navigate the philanthropic and donor landscape.
- Develop and execute the NYIC annual fundraising plan as well as craft long term resource development strategies, pointing the way to new revenue streams to support organizational priorities.
- Play key internal and external leadership roles to achieve overall organizational priorities.
- Sets priorities and establishes a shared vision. Develops and communicates goals that align with the organization’s vision and purpose; anticipates and prepares for roadblocks.
- Ensures integration of the Development team with other NYIC teams.
- Leads key organizational initiatives, including NYIC’s annual Gala and other events.
- Works with VPs of Advocacy and Policy to ensure strong relationships with NYIC members, elected officials, and stakeholders for development purposes.
- Serves as spokesperson for NYIC when necessary.
- Lead efforts to stand up “rapid response” fundraising efforts when necessary.
Development & Fundraising
- Ensures supervision of the Development team in writing and editing of proposals, reports, and other materials.
- Leads in developing strategies for recruiting, cultivating, and stewarding individual donors, including strategies to engage and retain new donors and increase major gifts.
- Ensures that the team develops and maintains relationships with corporations and develops strategies to increase corporate giving.
- Ensures that gala and other fundraising events are successful in meeting goals and raising the organization's profile.
- Recruits individuals to join the NYIC’s Board of Directors.
- Supervises the Development teams – staff, fellows, consultants, and volunteers to successfully meet NYIC’s goals.
- Manages performance, offers coaching, guides professional development, and provides key feedback.
- Oversee program budget and ensure proper use of fiscal resources for departments.
- Oversee team' and department’s overall management, functioning, and success, including leading goal-setting efforts and ensuring adherence to NYIC’s strategic plan.
- Ensure that teams are utilizing and adhering to the NYIC’s organizational systems, including task management, lobbying reporting, and database systems.
- Have systems in place to benchmark and track progress, and strengthen development’s infrastructure.
Perform similar functions as requested for affiliated organization NYIC Action, a 501 (c) 4 corporation. These include helping to establish revenue targets, set overall donor and foundation strategy, and serving as a thought partner for Executive Director and Development in identifying and cultivating viable funding leads.
- At least 5-7 years of relevant senior management and executive experience, including demonstrated leadership of teams, ability to recognize trends and opportunities, and ability to successfully execute key objectives.
- Strong track record of success in leading fundraising efforts from a broad base of funders, including individuals, foundations, and events.
- Experience and relationships with major foundations supporting social justice, movement building, and democracy.
- Excellent communication, public speaking, and writing skills.
- Ability to maintain high standards of ethics, integrity and professionalism and to handle sensitive information.
- Knowledge of immigration issues at national, state and local levels preferable.
- Fluency in another language is highly encouraged.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks.
Salary Range: $125,000
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid sick time, unlimited vacation leave, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until Filled
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Vice President of Development. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible.