About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The NYIC is the facilitator of New York Counts 2020, a statewide coalition with more than 200 organizational members working to ensure a fair and accurate count for New York in 2020.
Reporting to the Director of Upstate Advocacy, the Upstate Census Organizer is a time-limited, full-time position working in Western and Central New York, focused on organizational outreach and program development/support. The organizer will play a strategic role in supporting organizations in Western and Central New York to join and participate in New York Counts 2020. The Organizer will ensure New York State’s immigrant communities and the organizations that serve them are receiving accurate, trusted information around the 2020 Census, and are able to build their own Census support programs and infrastructure in order to engage meaningfully in the 2020 Census and Get Out the Count (GOTC) efforts in 2020. The Organizer will work closely with our Member Engagement and Civic Engagement teams to support strategic outreach to organizations and communities that are hard to count or may be likely to be discouraged from participating in the 2020 Census.
- Manage and support outreach to organizations representing hard to reach, hard to count communities in Central and Western New York
- Conduct and coordinate presentations and trainings on Census 2020
- Grow the membership of New York Counts 2020 in Western and Central New York
- Convene and facilitate meetings for regional New York Counts 2020 members, support outreach and logistics
- Track grant-related deliverables and produce data for grant reporting
- Produce materials to be used with hard to reach, hard to count communities
- Participate in general with the NYIC’s affiliated organization, the New York State Immigrant Action Fund (Immigrant Action)
- Two (2) to three (3) years of experience working with immigrant communities either through community organizing or through advocacy and policy work, a strong asset.
- Experience collaborating with multiple, diverse partners, a must.
- Knowledge of the Census policy and local and state efforts to ensure an accurate count, a plus.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks under deadline pressure.
- Meticulous organizational skills, ability to prioritize projects and follow through on detail with high-level accuracy.
- Must have excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, and strong communication skills.
- Must be a team player and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances.
- Access to a reliable vehicle and a valid New York State Driver’s License is required
- Ability to speak additional languages is an asset.
Salary Range: $47,500
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, to [email protected]. All emails must have “NYCount 2020 Census Fellow” in the subject line.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible. No phone calls or emails will be accepted for this position.