Location: The New York Immigration Coalition is headquartered in New York City with regional offices in Nassau County, Westchester County, Syracuse and Buffalo and are open to applicants in either location. This job requires occasional travel to Albany and throughout New York State.
Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Senior Manager of Policy & Legislation will oversee the NYIC’s policy work within Building Political Power And Guaranteed Civil Rights program area. This Manager will help develop and implement the program’s goals and priorities in all the regions of New York State where the NYIC has staff and/or member organizations, shepherd its vision to improve existing policies and create immigrant friendly policies in counties, cities, towns, etc. all across the State.
Reports to: Senior Director of Policy
Policy Development and Analysis
- Works with the Senior Policy Director to identify goals and priorities, and define strategies and timelines for the Building Political Power And Guaranteed Civil Rights policy program area and its policy advocacy.
- Works in close collaboration with the Member Engagement and NYIC’s member organizations, particularly on efforts to reform local practices and systems.
- Supports ongoing Administrative Advocacy & Implementation of campaign victories for pertinent policy areas
- Contributes to the development and implementation of the campaigns that follow the organizational blueprint to achieve immigrant-friendly legislation and win crucial local policy victories.
- Monitors developments and trends in immigration policy and analyzes context, relevance, feasibility, and opportunities to move reform initiatives forward.
- Supports with the drafting of policy memos, legislation, Op-Eds and research papers that effectively outline the NYIC's priorities and point of view; adept at writing in styles appropriate for communication with government officials, communities, and and nonprofits.
- Demonstrates emerging proficiency of data gathering, and both qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Leads advocacy efforts, including conducting policy briefings, testifying and lobbying for agencies at federal, state, and local levels around immigration policy.
- Effectively interprets legislation, regulation, and policy; conducts policy analysis.
- Approaches complex tasks and problems comprehensively; weighs costs, benefits, and risks to solving problems; draws sound, fact-based conclusions especially when under pressure.
- Displays creative thinking and innovation; explores new ideas and alternative solutions.
- Demonstrates understanding of the roles and responsibilities of the NYIC; uses knowledge of organizational culture in decision-making, perceiving the impact of decisions; identifies when issues need to be escalated and ensures positive outcomes.
- Looks beyond the requirements of one’s own job to offer suggestions for improvements of overall organization operations.
- Demonstrates integrity, adaptability, and passion for the NYIC’s mission.
- Works with Development to oversee Local Policy budget, and develop and maintain realistic project budgets that measure actual costs against budgeted costs.
- Creates an effective work-flow that coordinates and integrates tasks and functions, and delineates complex processes into more simple tasks and functions.
- Effectively serves as a spokesperson for the NYIC and its campaigns, as necessary; speaks with confidence and refines messages based on the audience.
- Provides subject matter expertise to training and services support initiatives around various immigration laws and policies.
- Supports resource development: participating in funder visits; drafting, editing, and contributing to proposals and reports.
Teamwork and Relationships
- Fosters internal and external relationships to support and strengthen both the NYIC and its Policy agendas; seeks opportunities to leverage relationships and find mutually beneficial solutions as related to the NYIC’s Policy priorities.
- Works with NYIC teams to achieve agency priorities including media outreach, development reporting, budgeting.
- Demonstrates a high level of emotional intelligence and interpersonal awareness.
- Seeks to engage diverse voices in developing and carrying out the organization’s priorities.
- Represents the NYIC in external coalitions advancing shared policy and advocacy goals.
- At least 5 years of relevant policy and legislative experience, including demonstrated leadership of teams and coalitions, and ability to successfully execute key objectives.
- Strong track record of success in leading local and state policy efforts (federal experience is a plus, but not required).
- Experience in writing for policy and legislative campaign efforts including fact sheets, reports and white papers, legislative drafting, policy and budget proposals, public testimony, media talking points and quotes, etc.
- Basic knowledge of immigrant and immigration issues at the local and state levels (federal experience welcome, but not required).
- Understanding of coalition-building and grass-tops organizing.
- Excellent communication, public speaking, and writing skills.
- Fluency in another language is highly encouraged.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks.
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid sick time, unlimited vacation leave, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line: Senior Manager of Policy and Legislation. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible.