Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
Under the supervision of the Director of Policy Operations, the Senior Manager of Education Policy will lead the NYIC’s work to expand immigrants’ access to quality education in our public school system. They will develop strategy to guide the program area’s work and lead its implementation, as well as advise the Vice President of Policy & Programs on the issue area. The work will include coordinating local and state coalitions, analyzing key policy developments in this field, developing campaign materials, leading campaigns as appropriate within the NYIC’s campaign priority structure, providing content expertise and relationship management.
- Leads policy analysis on K-12 education issues affecting immigrant communities.
- Manages the Education program’s K-12 legislative and administrative priorities and works closely with members and allies to identify key issues for New York State’s immigrant students in our public school system.
- Coordinates and leads the NYIC’s Education Collaborative, a cohort of the NYIC’s community-based, member organizations focused on education policy and advocacy goals.
- Coordinates and leads NY-AFFIRMs, a statewide coalition of K-12 education advocates in state-level K-12 policy analysis and advocacy.
- Represents the NYIC as a spokesperson and fields requests to support media, provide testimony as required, and represent the NYIC in key meetings with high-level officials related to K-12 education.
- Helps expand the NYIC's impact in the education space by developing our members' capacity to effectively advocate on behalf of issues impacting immigrant families in New York's public school system.
- Develops and manages relationships with partners and allies involved in K-12 policy and advocacy work and identifies relevant new groups to bring into NYIC work.
- Supports fundraising efforts through supporting conceptualization of initiatives and reviews drafts of narratives.
- 2-5 years relevant experience in policy and advocacy required.
- Knowledge of K-12 education field required, preferably in New York City or New York State.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, public speaking and meeting facilitation skills.
- Good team player, comfortable taking initiative, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances.
- Experience collaborating with multiple, diverse partners working with underserved & diverse communities.
- Knowledge of and commitment to social justice, immigrant justice, and NY’s immigrant communities.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language spoken in immigrant communities in NYC is strongly preferred.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Salary Range: $70,000-$71,150
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid sick time, unlimited vacation leave, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All emails must have “Senior Manager of Education Policy” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.