Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Senior Manager, Communications/Digital Organizing works with the Director of Communications to craft and execute our digital organizing and online fundraising program across platforms including email, social media, paid digital ads, SMS and web. This is a position requiring prior experience, strategic thinking, tactical execution of digital organizing, creative chops and fundraising best practices and an organizing approach to working with members, allies and internal staff. Successful candidates will demonstrate a strong commitment to and ability to convey our organizational mission, values, objectives, and worldview and a demonstrated track record of designing impactful digital campaigns, growing lists, and raising small-dollar funds. They will also demonstrate an ability to achieve results in a fast-paced and dynamic campaigning environment, while balancing short- and long-term organizational priorities.
This full-time, salaried position will be based in New York City (although all staff are currently working remotely until at least March 2021) and will include on-the-ground support for press conferences, rallies and other advocacy activities primarily in Albany and NYC. This position will be directly supervised by NYIC’s Director of Communications and will supervise one staff member. Additionally, it will require close collaboration with other members of the communications team (both staff and contractors), as well as policy, advocacy and development teams. Because this position directly relates to the 24-news cycle and social media environment, it will require some weeknight and weekend hours. It will also require occasional travel.
- Work with the Director of Communications to develop winning digital organizing and fundraising campaigns. The Sr. Manager, Communications/Digital Organizing will play a key role in shaping the overarching digital engagement strategy for all NYIC campaigns, in close consultation with other members of the communications, organizing and development departments. They will be responsible for designing and executing annual and seasonal full-cycle, multi-platform digital campaigns that bring new people into contact with the organization, move them up the ladder of engagement, and ensure their retention as supporters, members, and donors.
- Manage NYIC’s SMS, email and digital organizing program. The Sr. Manager, Communications/Digital Organizing will manage the statewide email program, including our efforts to grow our reach, recruit volunteers, design cutting-edge advocacy campaigns, and cultivate small-dollar donors and new members. They should be an avid consumer of political news-media and excel at designing rapid response campaigns to win new followers, drive engagement, and raise funds.
- Manage NYIC's digital advertising and fundraising efforts. The Sr. Manager, Communications/Digital Organizing will manage small-dollar fundraising efforts via email and paid digital advertising on Facebook, Google, and other platforms. They will work closely with videographers, and outside firms to manage, test, and optimize the performance of persuasion, mobilization, and fundraising ads, as budget allows. Digital advertising will be a particularly important part of this role, when we run robust digital programs to support our advocacy efforts.
- Manage NYIC's organic social media engagement. The Sr. Manager, Communications/Digital Organizing will also manage our organic engagement on social media (primarily Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram), working to advance our narrative strategy, build our organizational presence, engage our members, and advance our organizing and advocacy efforts. They should be willing to experiment with creative approaches to social media including engaging pop culture and creating simple graphics, memes, gifs, or videos (either directly or in collaboration with graphic designers). Finally, they should expect to regularly create digital toolkits and provide other support for our campaign work across the state.
- Implement digital organizing, data management, and small-dollar fundraising best practices and support data-driven and qualitative approaches to program evaluation and improvement. The Sr. Manager, Communications/Digital Organizing should implement best digital organizing practices such as a/b testing, list segmentation and hygiene, full-cycle engagement strategies, new supporter on-boarding, re-engagement strategies for lapsed donors.
- 3-5+ years of experience using social media, digital advertising, and other digital tools in an organizational context to engage people and mobilize them to take action.
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to quickly draft sharp, persuasive copy for a variety of audiences.
- A sharp strategic thinker who loves project management and organization. Someone who can take a complicated campaign plan and develop an impressive to-do list and work plan for your colleagues.
- Expertise in a range of digital tools and tactics, with a sharp understanding about the different ways they can be leveraged in different campaign contexts.
- Experience designing and managing digital advertising and fundraising campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, via e-blasts and other platforms.
- A proven track record of digital organizing and campaign management, including design and execution of multi-stage digital campaigns, and demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following tools: SMS or digital organizing tools (e.g., Action Network, Every Action, Blue State Digital, ActionKit, Mobile Commons).
- Is tactically familiar with most aspects of digital campaigns, including social media, FB ads manager, email marketing, mobile strategy, digital analytics, web video, social listening, web design.
- Ability to design and lay out basic social media content and resources using programs like InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and/or Canva.
- Familiarity with Google Office Suite (Slides, Sheets, Docs) and Asana or other project management tools.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Experience working in a remote team environment, and working well with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- A strong commitment to social justice and immigrant rights.
- Second language fluency, a plus.
- Experience with video production—shooting and editing, also a plus.
Salary Range: $70,000
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter to [email protected]. All emails must have “Senior Manager Communications/Digital Organizing” in the subject line. Required: Please also include at least 2 SAMPLES of your most recent work, such as a social media toolkit, a persuasive email, fundraising campaign elements, creative online campaigning examples, or/and a strategy memo.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.