Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Senior Director of Policy will play a leadership role within the organization, working in close partnership with the Vice President of Policy. The Senior Director will support the NYIC’s Policy Department, offering strategic guidance and direction, overseeing the department’s goal planning processes and implementation tracking, working closely with the Senior Director of Advocacy, and other program leads on cross team collaboration, and provides limited policy support on a wide range of issues impacting immigrant communities.
Reports to: Vice President of Policy
- Work with the Vice President of Policy and program directors to identify goals and priorities, and define strategies and timelines across the department.
- Work in collaboration with the Vice President of Policy to support the Policy Department’s overall management, functioning, and success.
- Monitor overall developments and trends in immigration policy and analyze political context to identify needs for rapid response and opportunities to move reform initiatives forward.
- Tracks, identifies and manages discrete (ex. one off Council bills) or limited areas (refugee services funding) of policy work. Makes recommendations on ongoing role in the organization of such work.
- Lead efforts with the Vice President of Policy and in coordination with the Development team to pursue and develop new funding prospects.
- Identify opportunities to bring new allies from diverse sectors into the Coalition's work and form and manage strategic alliances; strengthens participation from current groups.
- At least 5-7 years of relevant senior management and executive experience, including demonstrated leadership of teams, successful supervision of multiple team members, and ability to successfully execute key objectives.
- Strong track record of success in leading local and state policy efforts (federal experience is a plus, but not required).
- Understanding of coalition-building and grass-tops organizing.
- Excellent communication, public speaking, and writing skills.
- Fluency in another language is highly encouraged.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks.
Salary Range: $80,000
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. All emails must have “Senior Director of Policy” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.