About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Senior Director of Advocacy will play a key leadership role within the organization, working in close partnership with the Vice President of Advocacy and the NYIC’s Advocacy and Policy teams. The Senior Director will work directly with the NYIC’s Member and Political Engagement Teams to help win the NYIC’s immigration policy agenda by serving to direct campaigns on the federal, state and local levels; lead strategy in member engagement around advocacy issues across New York State; and support political engagement.
The Senior Director will serve as a thought partner for Executive Leadership, support cross department collaboration as it relates to our advocacy campaigns, and supervise a growing team that operates in offices across New York State.
- Works with Advocacy and Policy teams to identify goals and priorities, and plays a central role in defining campaign strategies, creating plans and timelines for campaigns, and ensuring proper execution of campaigns across the NYIC’s program areas.
- Leads member engagement across New York State, supervising a remote team of member engagement managers focusing on statewide campaigns.
- Ensures deliberate federal, state, and local level campaign goal-setting, including all parties required within the advocacy and policy departments and oversee tracking & management of priority campaigns.
- Supports regional member engagement manager with communications outreach and execution of strategies as it relates to high priority campaigns and organizational goals.
- Oversees the cultivation of a strong, statewide multi-ethnic and geographically diverse group of NYIC member organizations.
- Supervises and supports advocacy efforts, including lobbying, at the federal, state, and local levels.
- At least 5-7 years of relevant professional experience, including leadership of a team and ability to successfully supervise numerous team members to achieve key objectives.
- Detailed knowledge of immigration policy and issues facing diverse immigrant communities throughout New York State.
- Experience supervising a team, experience with remote supervision a plus
- Understanding of coalition-building and grasstops organizing.
- Supports fundraising and communications efforts through reporting and supervision.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks.
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language spoken in immigrant communities in the region is strongly preferred
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line: Senior Director of Advocacy. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible.