Location: New York City based with regular travel to Albany and occasional travel to Washington D.C. and throughout New York State.
About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Senior Director of Advocacy will play a key leadership role within the organization, working in close partnership with the Vice President of Advocacy and the NYIC’s Advocacy and Policy teams. The Senior Director will work directly with the NYIC’s Member and Political Engagement Teams to help win the NYIC’s immigration policy agenda by serving to direct campaigns on the federal, state and local levels; lead strategy in member engagement around advocacy issues across New York State; and support political engagement.
Reports to: Vice President of Advocacy
- Works with Vice President of Advocacy and Policy teams to identify goals and priorities, and play a point role in defining campaign strategies, creating plans and timelines for campaigns, and ensuring proper execution of campaigns.
- Leads Membership Engagement team to engage NYIC members in advocacy campaigns.
- Develops local advocacy campaign(s) in key areas across the state with the Vice President of Advocacy.
- Ensure deliberate Fed/State/Local level campaign goal-setting by Policy & Advocacy teams.
- Oversee development and maintenance of tracking & management of priority campaigns on Fed/State/Local levels.
- Works closely with and supports the Political Engagement Team to ensure that successful strategies are being implemented.
- Oversees the integration of Membership Engagement team with other Advocacy department teams, as well as with other organizational efforts.
- Ensures media outreach within regions is executed, including helping organizing press events, drafting media alerts and releases, developing talking points, etc. with support from the NYIC’s Communications team.
- Serves as spokesperson for NYIC and its campaigns.
- Leads efforts to stand up “rapid response” efforts when necessary.
- Facilitates conversations with local stakeholders and funders and ensures development efforts are successful by identifying and cultivating potential funding sources, and preparing proposals and reports.
- Support Development team to propose fundraising strategies and program related to campaigns.
- Oversees the cultivation of a strong, statewide multi-ethnic and geographically diverse group of NYIC member organizations
- Leads efforts in engaging NYIC member organizations to play leadership role in effective advocacy and organizing around campaigns.
- Oversees engagement of NYIC member organizations in local convenings across the state.
- Supervises and supports advocacy efforts, including lobbying, at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Works with VP of Advocacy and NYIC Leadership to ensure successful coordinated outreach to electeds on city, state and Federal levels.
- Develops and manages relationships with strategic allies involved in campaigns.
- Supervises team of growing Membership and Political Engagement staff, allies and volunteers to successfully meet NYIC’s goals in different state locations.
- Manages the performance of regional staff members, guides their professional development, and provides key feedback, both constructive and positive.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of professional experience including substantial campaign management and community organizing experience, a must
- At least 2 years of supervisory experience, a must
- Understanding of coalition-building and grass top organizing, a must
- Knowledge of and commitment to social justice and immigrant justice, a must; Substantive knowledge of immigration policy and issues facing diverse immigrant communities throughout New York State, preferred
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks under deadline pressure
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize projects and follow through on detail with high level accuracy
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills
- Team player and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances
- Language skills in Spanish, Chinese, Creole, Arabic, Russian or other language(s) spoke in New York State is a strong asset.
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid sick time, unlimited vacation leave, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All emails must have “Senior Director of Advocacy” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.