About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Senior Director of Immigrant Rights Policy will play a leadership role within the organization, working in close partnership with the Vice President of Policy. The Senior Director will support the NYIC’s Policy department, offering strategic guidance and direction, and will directly oversee the department’s work to counter anti-immigrant policies and enforcement, strengthen immigrants’ fundamental civil rights, access to counsel and expansions of status, and end collusion between federal and local law enforcement.
Reports to: Vice President of Policy
- Work with the Vice President of Policy and program directors to identify goals and priorities, and define strategies and timelines for immigration policy advocacy;
- Lead policy development and analysis focusing on issues related to increasing foundational basic rights for immigrant communities; reforming detention, enforcement, and detainer policies; and expanding access to counsel and status;
- Monitor overall developments and trends in immigration policy and analyze political context to identify needs for rapid response and opportunities to move reform initiatives forward;
- Supervise Immigration Policy and Immigration Legal Policy programs;
- Lead efforts with Vice President of Policy and in coordination with Development team to pursue and develop new funding prospects;
- Identify opportunities to bring new allies from diverse sectors into Coalition’s work and forms and manages strategic alliances; strengthens participation from current groups;
- Work in collaboration with the Vice President of Policy to support the Policy Department’s overall management, functioning, and success.
- At least 5-7 years of relevant senior management and executive experience, including demonstrated leadership of teams, successful supervision of multiple team members, and ability to successfully execute key objectives
- Strong track record of success in leading local, state, and federal policy efforts; knowledge of immigrant and immigration issues at the local, state, and federal levels
- Detailed, expert knowledge of immigration and immigration legal policy, and issues facing diverse immigrant communities throughout New York State
- Understanding of coalition-building and grass-tops organizing
- Proven ability to lead fundraising and communications efforts
- Excellent communication, public speaking, and writing skills
Fluency in another language highly encouraged
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line: Senior Director of Immigrant Rights Policy. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible.