Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The NYIC has experienced rapid growth over the past five years, doubling its staff and tripling its budget. During this period, we engaged in a strategic plan and organizational restructuring. As the NYIC continues to grow, the organization is looking to ensure that there is a focus on sustainability with an eye on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
We are seeking to contract with a consultant to provide DEI training for our 50-member staff and to support the development of a DEI framework for the organization. This initial project scope (“Phase 1”) is internally focused and staff-facing, and the next phase would be an external application of principles outlined in the DEI framework.
- Conduct a baseline assessment of the NYIC’s organizational policies and practices related to DEI
- Provide training and coaching for NYIC staff on institutional racism and oppression; identifying and addressing bias; advancing equity and inclusion
- Guide the organization in developing a shared DEI definition, language and standards that guide internal work
- Help develop a DEI roadmap and benchmarks to guide continuation of work beyond the scope of contract
- Has worked with similarly sized organization(s) on comprehensive DEI processes including assessment, training, framework development, policy and practice integration
- Brings social justice lens and intersectional perspective acknowledging race, immigration status, and gender
- Demonstrates ability to facilitate challenging conversations and create inclusive spaces for groups comprised of individuals with varied power, privilege and lived experiences
- Utilizes organizational development approach; integrates interpersonal, institutional and structural analysis and strategies into change work
Deadline: Please submit a proposal with budget to [email protected] by February 7, 2020. Insert “DEI Consultant” in subject line.
Projected start date: April 2020