About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
NYIC is seeking candidates for a temporary position to fill in while our Director of Immigrant Services Support is on parental leave. Job responsibilities include providing technical assistance to legal service providers, overseeing immigration legal trainings and events, coordinating rapid response legal services activities as necessary, overseeing government and foundation grants, developing initiatives to support immigrant entrepreneurship, and supervision of staff working on training, events, and public benefits outreach.
We are open to candidates who can commit full or part time and who have the skills and capacity to handle some or all of the job responsibilities. We anticipate that the position will begin in January 2019 (with training in December 2018 and run through 2019.
- Helping lead coordination of rapid response in the event of new developments, such as a large number of people in New York losing legal status or becoming eligible to (re)apply for status, legal services implication of a new law or executive order, or large-scale immigration raids.
- Overseeing planning of large monthly events in New York City public schools that bring legal, consular, financial literacy, and other services to community members. This involves supervision of two staff who will execute most of the work to plan the events and maintain relationships with coalition partners that help make the events a success.
- Planning and overseeing execution of response to support service providers grappling with implementation of Public Charge regulations that could go into effect in the coming months.
- Participating in regular coordination calls and meetings with immigration legal service providers.
- Overseeing effort to provide technical assistance and support to legal service providers if they reach out for help, particularly providers upstate and on Long Island and smaller organizations in NYC.
- Review community-facing materials that refer to immigration law to ensure accuracy. (Materials would be prepared by our community engagement team.)
- Supervision of a team of four professional staff members on the Immigrant Services Support team.
This will vary depending on which of the above responsibilities the candidate proposes to take on. Useful qualities include:
- A seasoned manager experienced in supervising staff and directing large-scale events and programs
- Law degree or DOJ accreditation experience and knowledge of immigration law strongly preferred
- Experience in rapid response, providing legal services, event planning, and / or volunteer coordination
- Familiarity with the NYIC, our member organizations, and / or the immigrant-services landscape in NY is preferred
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and one brief writing sample to [email protected] All emails must have “Parental Leave Cover: NYIC Immigrant Services Support” in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.