About the NYIC
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Member Engagement Manager will work closely with the NYIC Advocacy Team to grow the NYIC statewide presence, deepen the engagement of NYIC members and partners in NYIC initiatives, and build the political power of immigrant communities, the organizations who serve them, and strengthen the NYIC’s advocacy efforts. This position will lead the NYIC’s efforts in New York City and work closely with NYIC member organizations serving Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island. You will convene and mobilize regional member and partner organizations, lead NYIC advocacy efforts in New York City, and serve as a link to key resources for member agencies.
Reports to: Director of Membership Engagement
Advocacy and Organizing
- Works with Director of Member Engagement and Vice President of Advocacy to develop advocacy and engagement strategy for New York City.
- Organizes member agencies and allies to take action.
- Assists with the creation of local and state advocacy campaign strategies and implementation.
- Effectively serves as spokesperson for the NYIC and its campaigns.
- Leads effort in engaging NYIC member organizations in New York City to play leadership role in effective advocacy and organizing around campaigns.
- Leads engagement with NYIC member organizations in convenings.
- Coordinate member agencies and partners around local, state, and federal advocacy efforts, including but not limited to; issue identification, legislative visits, and mobilizations for rallies.
- Strong skills in and understanding of community organizing, advocacy campaigns, public speaking, and community advocacy.
- Fosters internal and external relationships to support and strengthen the NYIC; seeks opportunities to leverage relationships and find mutually beneficial solutions to the NYIC’s priorities.
- Works with NYIC teams to achieve agency priorities including media outreach and development reporting
- Fosters a working atmosphere conducive to collaborative efforts.
- Adept in emotional intelligence and interpersonal awareness.
- Seeks to engage diverse voices in developing and carrying out the organization’s priorities.
- Good team player, comfortable taking initiative, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstancesQualities Sought
- Liaise with media covering the region, including but not limited to local, ethnic, and mainstream outlets.
- Forge relationships with local media and create a strong media strategy.
- Conduct media interviews, connect press with partners and affected community members, support press conferences as needed, etc.
- Manages project implementation, scope, and resources, including budget. Manages and assigns related tasks.
- Maintains and effectively works on team projects and programs; troubleshoots as appropriate.
- Creates an effective work-flow that coordinates and integrates tasks and functions, and delineates complex processes into more simple tasks and functions.
- Establishes systems, processes, and tools to support the Advocacy Team to carry out priorities.
- Supports resource development activities. Provides data and anecdotes necessary for funder reports. Maintains accurate data necessary for development initiatives.
- Manages and plans events according to program priorities.
- Maintains attention to detail while executing projects and tasks.
- Teambuilding: Demonstrates interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn to work together. Enlists the active participation of everyone.
- Conflict/differences Management: Invites others to express their points of view. Expresses disagreements in a way that does not attack or disparage others. Brings disagreements into the open and addresses them.
- Effectively supervise fellows and interns assigned; demonstrates effective delegation, coaching, and performance management
- Approaches a complex task or problem by breaking it down into parts and considers each part in detail. Considers the costs, benefits, risks, and chances for success, when making a decision.
- Innovation: Seeks opportunities for growth and change. Assesses, manages and takes calculated risks to achieve goals.
- Change Management: Contributes to the problem-solving and creative-thinking processes leading to the development and implementation of new approaches, systems, structures, and methods.
- Political Savvy: Identifies when issues need to be escalated and opportunities leveraged and effectively engages appropriate actors. Perceives organizational and political sensitivities and acts accordingly. Ensures positive outcomes and mission achievement.
Please send cover letter explaining why this position interests you and why you are the ideal candidate, resume, and a brief writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line: Member Engagement Manager (New York City). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early applications are strongly encouraged.