Team: Policy and Programs
Reports to: Director of Community Programming Programs
New York, NY
Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for approximately 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
Summary of the Position
This is a contract-funded position for a new rapid-response initiative that the NYIC is undertaking to support vulnerable migrants and asylum-seekers throughout New York State. This position will be for a period of one year (August 2023-August 2024) with the potential to extend for two more years, for a total of three years. The continuation of this position beyond three years is contingent upon available funding.
The Manager of Training and Technical Assistance will build and roll out new trainings and training programs to support legal and non-legal service providers working across the state to serve vulnerable immigrants. The Manager will identify training needs, design curricula, recruit trainers, collaborate with partner organizations, and lead trainings when appropriate.
The Manager will report to the Director of Training and Technical Assistance, and will supervise the Training Associate, as well as work closely with other members of the Membership and Programs team and colleagues across the organization to solicit training needs and ensure that resources are reaching all partners across the state.
- Design and implement new and innovative training programs for service providers working with immigrant communities. Lead the development of training curricula in partnership with relevant subject matter experts, and ensure that training materials and structure are interactive, engaging, and relevant to participants.
- Conduct trainings on selected topics, and recruit qualified trainers to train on other subjects.
- Work closely with NYIC funded partners and staff to identify training needs and coordinate on training delivery to avoid duplication of effort and maximize efficiency.
- Adhere to all reporting and data management requirements, ensuring that training and participant data is captured based on funder and program protocols.
- Adhere to compliance with all requirements of an Accredited Provider of Continuing Legal Education (CLE) in New York State.
- Take part in technical assistance on DOJ Recognition and Accreditation for NYIC Member organizations and other partners.
- Oversee training program logistics and participant experiences for trainings directly related to their area of programming.
- Supervise Training Associate; manage performance, guide professional development, and provide key feedback.
- Some travel may be required for this position.
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience in immigration law and/or policy, either as an attorney, accredited representative, paralegal, or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience developing or conducting trainings, or teaching, with an appreciation for adult learning principles.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Highly organized, strong interpersonal skills, and comfort with public speaking.
- Good team player, comfortable taking initiative, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances.
- Passion for immigrant services and social justice.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks.
- Familiarity with DOJ recognition and accreditation is a plus.
- Familiarity with Salesforce is a plus.
Important facts to know about this opportunity:
- This position is mostly on-site, with a requirement of being in the office 4 days per week and remote 1 day per week.
- The NYIC staff continues to mask while in the office.
- The NYIC has a staff-wide vaccine mandate. Staff must be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination to HR before being onboarded.
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, unlimited paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
**The NYIC has a transparent and equitable salary structure. Starting salaries for each position are set in advance with no room for negotiation.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All emails must have “ Manager of Training and Technical Assistance” in the subject line.
Deadline: Friday, September 8, 2023
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible. No phone calls or emails will be accepted for this position.