Location: Position is based in New York City and will require regular travel within the New York City metropolitan area, Albany, Washington D.C. and other regions of New York State.
Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Manager of Organizing and Strategy NYC will work closely with the NYIC Advocacy Team to grow the NYIC statewide presence, deepen the engagement of NYIC members and partners in NYIC initiatives, and build the political power of immigrant communities, the organizations who serve them, and strengthen the NYIC’s advocacy efforts. This position will lead the NYIC’s efforts in New York City and work closely with NYIC member organizations serving Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island. You will convene and mobilize regional member and partner organizations, lead NYIC advocacy efforts in New York City, and serve as a link to key resources for member agencies.
Reports to: Director of Organizing and Strategy
Advocacy and Organizing:
- Works with Director of Organizing and Strategy and Senior Director of Advocacy to develop advocacy and engagement strategy for New York City.
- Organizes member agencies and allies to take action.
- Assists with the creation of local and state advocacy campaign strategies and implementation.
- Effectively serves as spokesperson for the NYIC and its campaigns.
- Leads effort in engaging NYIC member organizations in New York City to play leadership role in effective advocacy and organizing around campaigns.
- Leads engagement with NYIC member organizations in convenings.
- Coordinate member agencies and partners around local, state, and federal advocacy efforts, including but not limited to; issue identification, legislative visits, and mobilizations for rallies.
- Strong skills in and understanding of community organizing, advocacy campaigns, public speaking, and community advocacy.
- Fosters internal and external relationships to support and strengthen the NYIC; seeks opportunities to leverage relationships and find mutually beneficial solutions with members, partners, labor unions, trade associations, board members, etc.
- Works with NYIC teams to achieve agency priorities including media outreach and development reporting.
- Fosters a working atmosphere conducive to collaborative efforts.
- Adept in emotional intelligence and interpersonal awareness.
- Seeks to engage diverse voices in developing and carrying out the organization’s priorities.
- Good team player, comfortable taking initiative, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances
- Liaise with media covering the region, including but not limited to local, ethnic, and mainstream outlets.
- Forge relationships with local media and create a strong media strategy.
- Conduct media interviews, connect press with partners and affected community members, support press conferences as needed, etc.
- Manages project implementation, scope, and resources, including budget. Manages and assigns related tasks.
- Maintains and effectively works on team projects and programs; troubleshoots as appropriate.
- Creates an effective work-flow that coordinates and integrates tasks and functions, and delineates complex processes into more simple tasks and functions.
- Establishes systems, processes, and tools to support the Advocacy Team to carry out priorities.
- Supports resource development activities. Provides data and anecdotes necessary for funder reports. Maintains accurate data necessary for development initiatives.
- Manages and plans events according to program priorities.
- Maintains attention to detail while executing projects and tasks.
- Approaches a complex task or problem by breaking it down into parts and considers each part in detail. Consider the costs, benefits, risks, and chances for success, when making a decision.
- Innovation: Seeks opportunities for growth and change. Assesses, manages and takes calculated risks to achieve goals.
- Change Management: Contributes to the problem-solving and creative-thinking processes leading to the development and implementation of new approaches, systems, structures, and methods.
- Political Savvy: Identifies when issues need to be escalated and opportunities leveraged and effectively engages appropriate actors. Perceives organizational and political sensitivities and acts accordingly. Ensures positive outcomes and mission achievement.
- Team-building: Demonstrates interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn to work together. Enlists the active participation of everyone.
- Conflict/differences Management: Invites others to express their points of view. Expresses disagreements in a way that does not attack or disparage others. Brings disagreements into the open and addresses them.
- Effectively supervise fellows and interns assigned; demonstrates effective delegation, coaching, and performance management
- Two (2) to three (3) years of experience working and engaging member organizations in New York City.
- Play a leadership role in effective advocacy and organizing around campaigns.
- Comfort with public speaking and community presentation required
- Develop strategies to successfully outreach in immigrant communities
- Strong skills in community organizing, advocacy campaigns, and community advocacy, specifically with underserved & diverse communities
- Good team player, demonstrates leadership internally and externally, comfortable taking initiative, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances
- Experience with fast paced environments and juggling multiple tasks simultaneously
- Attention to detail and strong follow-through are required
- Bilingual Spanish-speaker preferred
Salary: $65,000 to $66,625
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid sick time, unlimited vacation leave, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Manager of Organizing and Strategy, NYC. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible.