Position is based in Buffalo and will require regular travel within Western New York as well as occasionally to New York City, Albany and other regions within New York State.
Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Manager of Member Engagement - Western New York will work closely with the NYIC Advocacy Team to represent the NYIC in Western New York. The Manager will work closely with NYIC member organizations to grow the NYIC’s presence in the region; deepen the engagement of NYIC members and partners in NYIC initiatives; expand the network of NYIC members and partners; and build the political power of immigrant communities, the organizations who serve them, and the NYIC. They are expected to join regional working groups, task forces and events. The Manager is charged with assessing the regional needs for local members/partners’ assets and issues in the community to better inform NYIC’ resources and campaigns. The Manager will convene and mobilize member and partner organizations, lead NYIC advocacy efforts in Western New York, and serve as a link to key resources for member agencies.
- Leads effort in engaging NYIC member organizations in Western New York to play a leadership role in effective advocacy and organizing around campaigns. Leads engagement with NYIC member organizations in local convenings across the State.
- Develops and strengthens relationships with NYIC member organizations, other immigrant-led and immigrant-serving organizations, and non-traditional partners and allies across Western New York.
- Regularly convenes members and partners to discuss issues facing immigrant communities and plan strategies for collective action in the region and the State.
- Coordinate and mobilize member agencies and coalition partners around local, state, and federal advocacy campaigns, as well as rapid response work as necessary.
- Plan and organize local, statewide and federal events including rallies, actions, convenings, trainings, and community forums.
- Forge relationships with policy makers in Western New York, including elected and other key government officials, and serve as the NYIC expert on the Western New York landscape.
- Build and maintain relationships with media covering the region, including local, ethnic, and mainstream outlets, and utilize traditional and digital media to promote advocacy goals, in consultation with NYIC communications team.
- Serve as spokesperson for the NYIC in the region, including in the media and through public speaking and regular meetings with community leaders, policy makers, and thought leaders.
- At least 3-5 years of relevant experience preferred, ideally with a Western New York based organization.
- Knowledge of and commitment to social justice, immigrant justice, and Western New York’s diverse immigrant communities.
- Experience collaborating with multiple, diverse partners.
- Experience with community organizing and/or policy advocacy is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong communication skills, and comfort with public speaking and meeting facilitation.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language spoken in immigrant communities in Western New York is strongly preferred.
- Drivers license is required.
- Good team player, comfortable taking initiative, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Salary Range: $58,000+
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] All emails must have “Member Engagement Manager Western New York” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.