Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
Under the direction of the Director of Immigrant Services Support, the Manager of Immigrant Services Support, Events will plan and execute events designed to provide services to immigrant community members, in close partnership with NYIC member organizations. The Manager will lead our Key to the City events, a city council-funded initiative created to bring services and trainings to communities across all five boroughs, and work closely with partner agencies to provide a full-fleet of services (legal screenings, Know Your Rights training, financial empowerment education) and bring consulates to provide identification services to their communities. Based on community needs assessments, the Manager may also design and implement new initiatives focused on topics like financial literacy, entrepreneurship, housing, health, or other service areas. The Manager will also provide support and leadership on other immigrant-serving events as needed, including collaborative legal clinics and rapid response events.
- Organize Key to the City events in public schools, bringing consular services, legal clinics, financial training, and wraparound services to underserved populations throughout New York City.
- Support legal clinics for underserved communities, including helping to plan clinics, connecting organizers to NYIC outreach or volunteer management staff, staffing tables, inviting members providing wrap-around services to table, providing materials, etc.
- Lead and/or support rapid response events in collaboration with NYIC members and partners as needed.
- Build community needs assessment and outreach models to ensure that services are reaching a diverse array of immigrant communities.
- Manage project implementation including scope, fulfillment of grant deliverables, and project budgets.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with diverse consulates, service providers, funders, elected officials, and strategic partners and allies throughout New York State.
- Engage NYIC member organizations and other partners in large community outreach events.
- Lead the integration of NYIC policy and advocacy initiatives with community-facing events.
- If possible, provide translation and interpretation support in relation to Key to the City events and NYIC-developed community resources.
- Supervise program associate, manage performance, guide professional development, and provide key feedback.
- Three to five years of relevant experience, ideally providing services or outreach to immigrant communities and with experience planning community-serving events.
- Experience with the challenges faced by immigrant-serving and immigrant-led organizations.
- An understanding of the common barriers to service access and integration faced by immigrant communities.
- Experience supervising staff or interns is preferred.
- Ability to lift materials weighing up to 40lbs.
- This position will be required to work some weekends and evenings, as necessary. Additionally, there may be regular local travel within New York City to all five (5) boroughs and possible future travel within New York State.
- Highly organized and strong interpersonal skills.
- Good team player, comfortable taking initiative and working independently, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances.
- Passion for immigrant services and social justice.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks.
- Language fluency in Arabic, Chinese, Creole, Russian, Spanish or other language(s) spoken in New York City is strongly preferred.
Salary Range: $58,000+
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send an email, and attach a resume and cover letter, to [email protected] All emails must have “Manager of Immigrant Services Support, Events” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone to start in May or June 2020. No phone calls or emails will be accepted for this position.