Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Manager of Health Policy will work closely with the Director of Health Policy, within the NYIC’s Policy department, to support work at the municipal, state, and federal levels to improve access to high-quality health care for immigrant New Yorkers. The Manager of Health Policy will be responsible for a range of health policy, advocacy, technical assistance, and training responsibilities.
- Conduct policy analysis on a range of immigrant health access issues, including health insurance eligibility and health care financing
- Work with the NYIC’s senior staff to advocate on issues affecting immigrant access to health care, identify systemic problems and define strategies for change, support health care policy campaigns, and conduct administrative and legislative advocacy
- Coordinate meetings and working groups, prepare minutes, assist with execution of events, and engage members in Health Policy trainings and convening spaces
- Make presentations and represent the NYIC at conferences, workshops, meetings and committees
- Oversee and increase the Health Policy program’s social media presence on Twitter and other platforms
- Support creation of training curricula
- Contribute to other organizational events and projects as necessary
- Develop community education materials
- Coordinate legislative visits and advocacy events, and participate in outreach to and meetings with public policymakers and elected officials
- At least three (3) years of relevant experience in health policy analysis, program/training evaluation, and/or access to services and benefits; focus on immigrant communities strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of the U.S. health care system, including the Affordable Care Act and publicly-financed health care programs such as Medicaid.
- Strong communication skills - drafting testimony; preparing policy memos; and supporting the creation of op-eds, press releases, and statements.
- Experience working with a diverse coalition and facilitating meetings with diverse stakeholders.
- Fluency in Spanish or another of the top 6 languages spoken in New York State strongly preferred.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, website management, and social media skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, good judgment and the ability to work collaboratively in some cases, and independently in others.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing deadlines.
- Sense of humor and ability to be flexible.
Salary Range: $65,000
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter and a writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line: Manager of Health Policy. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.