Position is based in Buffalo and will require regular travel within Western New York as well as occasionally to New York City, Albany and other regions within New York State.
Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Manager of Community Engagement implements the New York Immigration Coalition’s (NYIC) community outreach and engagement work, with particular emphasis on mass education community events and ensuring the broad support of New York’s many diverse populations, with a particular emphasis on the most underserved communities. The Manager implements, systematizes, and evaluates the NYIC’s community engagement activities, including community meetings and public gatherings, and integrates related partnerships and community needs into the NYIC Advocacy program priorities.
Reports to: Director of Community Engagement
- Plans and execute community events, such as town halls, community forums, and service events; organizes community education forums to address community needs/concerns.
- Represents the NYIC as an official spokesperson in community events, forums, town halls on behalf of the NYIC.
- Supports coordination and logistics of Advocacy initiatives such as lobby days, Member events, campaign events and rallies in WNY.
- Develops and manages relationships with community allies and identifies relevant new groups to bring into NYIC work as community partners and allies.
- Develops and manages outreach strategies to ensure that underserved, underrepresented community members are informed of their rights and of advocacy priorities affecting their communities.
- Updates training and curricula in collaboration with Director of Community Engagement.
- Assist and delivers trainings and workshops to impacted community members and Community Based Organizations (CBOs).
- Actively participates in fundraising and supports grant research, proposal writing, and reporting on grant deliverables in partnerships with the NYIC’s Development Team.
- Provides campaign support to the NYIC’s Advocacy team.
- Contribute to other organizational Rapid Response events and projects as necessary.
- Fosters internal and external relationships to support and strengthen the NYIC.
- Supports the Community Engagement team and works with NYIC advocacy teams to achieve agency priorities including media outreach and development reporting.
- Supports resource development activities. Participates in funder visits, drafts proposals and funder reports. Provides data and anecdotes necessary for funder reports. Maintains accurate data necessary for development initiatives.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience working with diverse, immigrant communities—work as a community and/or organizer within communities an asset.
- Comfort with public speaking and community presentation required.
- Develop strategies to successfully outreach New York State's AAPI and black immigrant communities.
- Strong skills in community organizing, advocacy campaigns, and community advocacy, specifically with underserved & emerging communities and African and API communities.
- Good team player, demonstrates leadership internally and externally, comfortable taking initiative, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances.
- Experience with fast paced environments and juggling multiple tasks.
- Attention to detail and strong follow-through are required.
- Ability to speak other languages is a plus.
Salary Range: $58,000
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. All emails must have “Manager of Community Engagement, Western New York” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.