About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Manager of Communications, under the supervision of the Communications Strategist, will help drive the NYIC’s robust communications & marketing efforts including media relations; e-campaigning; and other online and offline communications strategies and initiatives, including maintaining the organization’s online presence, drafting e-newsletters and speeches, as well as working with external vendors to produce reports, branded materials and other collateral. They will work collaboratively with our policy and advocacy teams to craft messaging; design and implement proactive strategies to advance our advocacy campaigns; identify timely opportunities to promote immigrant rights and integration; and respond to developing stories as necessary. The position will maintain relationships with journalists in mainstream, local, and ethnic media as well as with NYIC members and other allies.
- Support development and implementation of communications strategies for ongoing priorities and rapid response in New York City and Statewide.
- Draft and finalize press releases, media advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor, e-blasts, talking points, and other media materials
- Field media inquiries and maintain relationships with reporters, editorial staff, columnists, bookers, producers, hosts and bloggers. Develop and pitch stories, manage press calls, and track media coverage and find opportunities to advance the interests of NYIC and our members through diverse media
- Implement strategy for and maintain social media presence on various platforms, create digital content, and track reach/engagement
- Create and synthesize monthly/quarterly analytic reports for website and all e-campaigns
- Ensure proper documentation of organizational campaigns, events, rallies, and actions.
- Lead or support trainings for NYIC members and staff on social media, messaging, and other communications topics
- Work with the Communications Strategist and other vendors to advance communications-related projects, including video production, well-designed public materials, annual report, and newsletters
- Ensuring branding guidelines are instituted and followed on all platforms and support creation of collateral as needed
- Additional duties as assigned
- At least 3-5 years of relevant communications experience, particularly media relations or digital and social media, preferably in a nonprofit advocacy context
- Experience leading a diverse team. Supervisory and management experience strongly preferred
- Knowledge of immigration policy and / or issues facing immigrant communities strongly preferred
- Excellent oral, public speaking, and written communications skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Tech-savvy and comfort with new digital media and website management. Expertise in graphic design, photo editing, and / or video production is an advantage
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks
- Knowledge of Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese, or another language other than English is a strong advantage
To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line: Manager of Communications. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged.