Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Manager of Communications, under the supervision of the Communications Strategist, will help drive strategies on earned media and support other public communications on immigrant justice campaigns and organizing efforts. The Communications Manager will execute a media relations plan developed in collaboration with the Communications Strategist, program and advocacy team members, as well as external partners and consultants. They will be responsible for crafting messaging; designing and implementing proactive strategies to advance our advocacy campaigns;promote immigrant rights and integration; and respond to developing stories, as necessary. The position will maintain relationships with journalists in mainstream, local, and ethnic media as well as with NYIC members and other allies.
The ideal candidate will have at least three-five years of relevant experience with communications, including developing and placing stories in state and local earned media, building relationships with reporters, and training spokespeople from diverse constituencies. They will have excellent writing and editing skills, be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and to juggling priorities in a constantly evolving media landscape.
- Support development and implementation of communications strategies for ongoing priorities and rapid response in New York City and Statewide.
- Develop and execute press strategies for campaigns, organizing efforts, and other opportunities to elevate NYIC and our partners, including short and long term press outreach plans and strategies for traditional media that coordinate with digital communications.
- Draft and finalize press releases, media advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor, fact sheets, talking points, and other media materials.
- Field media inquiries and maintain relationships with reporters, editorial staff, columnists, bookers, producers, hosts and bloggers.
- Develop and pitch stories, manage press conferences, and track media coverage; as well as find opportunities to advance the interests of NYIC and our members through diverse media outreach.
- Develop and implement rapid response communications plans responsive to urgent conditions.
- Work with the staff of our community-based and national partners to provide guidance on press strategy and media amplification.
- Train staff, partners, and members to be effective media spokespeople, as necessary.
- Ensure proper documentation and evaluation of press strategies related to organizational campaigns, events, rallies, and actions.
- Lead or support trainings for NYIC members and staff on social media, messaging, and other communications topics.
- Form strong working relationships with key reporters and editors, as well as with NYIC staff members and partners.
- Work with the Communications Strategist and consultants to advance communications-related efforts and campaigns.
- All communications staff are required to be able to work cross-functionally to support key efforts, staff and programs, as needed.
- Other duties, as required.
- At least three (3) to five (5) years relevant experience, with at least three (3) years working in journalism or working in media relations for political campaigns, non-profit organizations, or unions.
- Experience developing and implementing press strategies for campaigns, such as community organizing, political, and legislative campaigns, as well as experience working with grassroots activists.
- A demonstrated record of securing media placements, including features, op-eds, LTEs, and/or broadcast and radio appearances.
- Experience building relationships with media.
- Excellent writing skills. Candidate should be able to write sharp, memorable copy under deadline.
- An ability to juggle multiple projects at a time and produce consistently high-quality deliverables in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of immigration policy and / or issues facing immigrant communities strongly preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work well with diverse groups and populations.
- Knowledge of Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese, or another language other than English is a strong advantage
- Experience and comfort with social media and website management a plus. Expertise in graphic design, photo editing, and / or video production is an advantage.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line: Manager of Communications, Press and Media Relations. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged.