About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Manager of Education Policy will join the NYIC’s Education Policy program working in close coordination with the Director of Education Policy and a peer Manager of Education Policy. The program seeks to identify barriers immigrant New Yorkers face in accessing a quality education, develop policy solutions, and work with officials to secure implementation of recommendations. The Manager will play a key role in building out the NYIC’s early childhood and adult education policy work conducting policy analysis, developing policy materials, and in representing the education program with officials, allies, and through coalitions.
- Research early childhood and adult education policy issues and synthesize findings to generate policy proposals and recommendations
- Craft testimony, reports and backgrounders and other campaign materials
- Conduct advocacy to achieve campaign goals and make early childhood and adult education systems more responsive to immigrant families
- Build and deepen relationships with member and partner organizations working on these issues
- Manage the NYIC’s LIFE project working to expand immigrants’ access to Pre-K and 3K through grassroots enrollment support and advocacy
- Represent the NYIC and our dual generation education priorities in partner coalitions
- Required, three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience in education advocacy, focus on immigrant communities and experience with early childhood and/or adult education policy issues, strongly preferred
- Strong communication skill - drafting testimony; preparing policy memos; and supporting the creation of op-eds, press releases, and statements
- Experience with advocacy and lobbying in New York City and New York State
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and competing priorities and strategize in rapidly changing political environment
- Experience working with broad and diverse populations a plus
- Working knowledge of another language - Spanish or another of the top 6 languages spoken in New York State - strongly desired.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line: Manager of Education Policy. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible.