About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Manager of Democracy Policy will work closely with the Vice President of Policy and broader Policy Department to identify barriers immigrant New Yorkers face in being fully enfranchised and civically engaged, devise policy solutions, and work with government officials to secure implementation of recommendations. The Manager will play a key role in conducting policy analysis, developing policy materials, and in representing the NYIC and our democracy policy agenda with officials, allies, and through coalition work.
- Works on policy analysis on democracy issues affecting immigrant communities (Census 2020, municipal resident voting, voting reforms) and leads administrative advocacy efforts on the New York State and local levels
- Leads strategic planning to ensure democracy policy goals are met and supports critical thinking and problem solving as climates change
- Manages the program’s work product and ensures that the program is carrying out its legislative priorities
- Supports fundraising efforts through grant research; proposals writing; and supporting grant reporting through data collection and preparing drafts of narratives
- Develops and manages relationships with strategic allies involved in policy and advocacy work and identifies relevant new groups to bring into NYIC work.
- Supports the facilitation of New York Counts 2020, a broad-based, statewide coalition working to ensure a fair and accurate count in the 2020 Census.
- Required, three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience in democracy policy, civic engagement, and/or good government advocacy; focus on immigrant communities strongly preferred.
- Strong communication skills - drafting testimony; preparing policy memos; and supporting the creation of op-eds, press releases, and statements
- Experience with advocacy and lobbying in New York City and New York State
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and competing priorities and strategize in rapidly changing political environment
- Experience working with broad and diverse populations a plus
- Working knowledge of another language - Spanish or another of the top 6 languages spoken in New York State - strongly desired.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line: Manager of Democracy Policy. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible.