About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Manager of Community Engagement implements the New York Immigration Coalition’s (NYIC) community outreach and engagement work, with particular emphasis on mass education community events and ensuring the broad support of New York’s many diverse populations, with a particular emphasis on the most underserved communities. The Manager implements, systematizes, and evaluates the NYIC’s community engagement activities, including community meetings and public gatherings, and integrates related partnerships and community needs into the NYIC Advocacy program priorities.
Director of Community Engagement
- Plans community events, such as town halls, community forums, and service events; organizes community education forums to address community needs/concerns
- Represents the NYIC as an official spokesperson in community events, forums, and town halls on behalf of the NYIC
- Supports coordination of Advocacy initiatives
- Develops and manages relationships with community allies and identifies relevant new groups to bring into NYIC work as community partners
- Manages outreach strategies to ensure that underserved, underrepresented community members are informed of their rights and of advocacy priorities affecting their communities
- Updates training materials and curricula in collaboration with Director of Community Engagement, assists with delivery of training
- Actively participates in fundraising and supports grant research, proposal writing, and reporting on grant deliverables in partnerships with the NYIC’s Development Team
- Provides campaign support to the NYIC’s Advocacy team
- Contributes to other organizational Rapid Response events and projects as necessary
- Fosters internal and external relationships to support and strengthen the NYIC
- Supports the Community Engagement team and works with NYIC advocacy team to achieve agency priorities including media outreach and development reporting
- Supports resource development activities. Participates in funder visits, drafts proposals and funder reports. Provides data and anecdotes necessary for funder reports. Maintains accurate data necessary for development initiatives.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience working with diverse, immigrant communities - work as a community and/or organizer within communities an asset
- Comfort with public speaking and community presentation required
- Develop strategies to successfully outreach New York State's AAPI and black immigrant communities
- Strong skills in community organizing, advocacy campaigns, and community advocacy, specifically with underserved & emerging communities and African and AAPI communities
- Good team player, demonstrates leadership internally and externally, comfortable taking initiative, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances
- Experience with fast paced environments and juggling multiple tasks
- Attention to detail and strong follow-through are required
- Ability to speak other languages is a plus
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, references, and a brief writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line: Manager of Community Engagement. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible.