About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Manager of Community Engagement, Western New York implements the New York Immigration Coalition’s (NYIC) community engagement work, with particular emphasis on mass education community events and ensuring the broad support of New York’s many diverse populations, with a particular emphasis on the most underserved communities. The Manager systematizes and evaluates the NYIC’s community engagement activities, including community meetings and public gatherings, and integrates related partnerships and community needs into the NYIC Advocacy program priorities.
This position is based in Buffalo, NY and requires some regional travel.
- Plans community events, such as townhalls, community forums, community building events, and service events; organizes community education forums to address community needs/concerns
- Represents the NYIC as an official spokesperson in community events, forums, townhalls on behalf of the NYIC.
- Builds relationships with the diverse community leaders and develops an understanding of each community’s needs, challenges, and assets in order to fully integrate their needs into the NYIC priorities and advocacy campaigns.
- Conducts leadership development with community members prioritizing underserved, underrepresented community members to ensure their participation in NYIC advocacy activities.
- Develops and manages relationships with community allies and identifies relevant new groups to bring into NYIC work as community partners
- Manages outreach strategies to ensure that underserved, underrepresented community members are informed of their rights and of advocacy priorities affecting their communities
- Creates accessible guides, trainings, and curricula to be used NYIC members and partner agencies in their outreach
- Actively participates in fundraising and supports grant research, proposal writing, and reporting on grant deliverables in partnerships with the NYIC’s Development Team
- Required, three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience in the field with focus on immigrant and refugee communities strongly preferred.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience with advocacy and lobbying in the area.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and competing priorities and strategize in rapidly changing political environment.
- Experience working with broad and diverse populations a plus.
- Working knowledge of another language strongly desired.
- Must have a driver license
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and one brief writing sample to [email protected] All emails must have “Manager of Community Engagement, Western New York” in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.