About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Immigrant Service Events Associate will help plan and execute events designed to provide services to immigrant community members, in close partnership with NYIC member and partner organizations. The Associate will plan and engage in community outreach, liaise with partner organizations, and ensure that event logistics run smoothly. In addition, the Associate will play a supporting role in rapid response events, including legal clinics, community education efforts, and coordination among service partners.
- Support logistical needs of monthly Key to the City events in public schools, legal clinics, and other immigrant service events, including advance planning, staffing events, and troubleshooting to address any challenges that may occur
- Provide technical support at events as needed, including internet connectivity, printing, and audio-visual services
- Coordinate with partners including staff of NYIC member organizations, foreign consulates, legal service providers, financial literacy educators, and social service providers to facilitate their participation in events
- Work closely with staff in other NYIC programs on community outreach to publicize events and volunteer management
- Maintain detailed reports and data on events including numbers of individuals served, while following strict protocols for any personally identifying information
- Prepare materials for partner organizations and for community members
- Deliver Know-Your-Rights presentations and represent the NYIC at community events and / or help provide services depending on skills, interest, and organizational needs.
- At least 1 year of relevant experience, ideally providing services or outreach to immigrant communities; experience with community events a plus
- Experience working with and understanding of the challenges faced by immigrant-serving and immigrant-led organizations
- Experience with community education and workshops focusing on health access, financial literacy, and/or entrepreneurship an asset
Experience with health access, financial literacy, or with small businesses is an asset
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with strong interpersonal skills
- Good team player, comfortable taking initiative, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances
- Passion for immigrant services and social justice
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks.
- Language skills in Spanish, Chinese, Creole, Arabic, Russian, or other language(s) spoken in New York State is a strong asset.
To Apply: Please send cover letter explaining why this position interests you and why you are the ideal candidate, resume, and a brief writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line: Immigrant Serving Events Associate.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early applications are strongly encouraged.