About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
Under the direction of the Manager of Immigrant Support Services - Events, the Associate will help plan and execute events designed to provide services to immigrant community members, in close partnership with NYIC member and partner organizations. The Associate will plan and engage in community outreach, liaise with partner organizations, and ensure that event logistics run smoothly. In addition, the Associate will play a supporting role in rapid response events, including legal clinics, community education efforts, and coordination among service partners.
- Support logistical needs of monthly Key to the City events in public schools, legal clinics, and other immigrant service events, including advance planning, staffing events, and troubleshooting to address any challenges that may occur
- Provide technical support at events as needed, including internet connectivity, printing, and audio-visual services
- Coordinate with partners including staff of NYIC member organizations, foreign consulates, legal service providers, financial literacy educators, and social service providers to facilitate their participation in events
- Work closely with staff in other NYIC programs on community outreach to publicize events and volunteer management
- Maintain detailed reports and data on events including numbers of individuals served, while following strict protocols for any personally identifying information
- Prepare materials for partner organizations and for community members
- Deliver Know-Your-Rights presentations and represent the NYIC at community events and and / or help provide services depending on skills, interest, and organizational needs.
- A minimum of 1 year of relevant experience in event planning for community-focused events, or in community outreach, a must
- An understanding of the challenges faced by immigrant-serving and immigrant-led organizations
- Experience with community education and workshops focusing on health access, financial literacy, and/or entrepreneurship an asset
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks under deadline pressure
- Meticulous organizational skills, ability to prioritize projects and follow through on detail with high-level accuracy
- Must have excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, and strong communication skills
- Must be a team player and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances
- Knowledge of and commitment to social justice and immigrant justice
- Ability to lift materials weighing up to 40lbs.
- This position will be required to work some weekends and evenings, as necessary. Additionally, there may be regular local travel within New York City to all five (5) boroughs and possible future travel within New York State.
- Language fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred; knowledge of Chinese, Creole, Arabic, Russian, or other language(s) spoken in New York State would also be an asset.
Salary Range: $40,000-45,000
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, to [email protected] All emails must have “Immigrant Services Events Associate” in the subject line.
Deadline: Friday, August 16, 2019
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible. No phone calls or emails will be accepted for this position.