Human Resources Director
About the NYIC
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York State that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
NYIC is in a period of rapid growth and will likely be doing substantial recruitment in the coming year for positions in our NYC headquarters as well as regional offices in Buffalo and Hempstead, Long Island. We also have staff based in Syracuse and Westchester.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
Under the direction of the Executive Vice President, The NYIC is seeking a highly motivated, self-driven Director of Human Resources to support its growing staff and ensure a positive employee experience for all personnel. The Director will manage all human resources functions, monitor operational structures, and address policies and practices for all 50+ employees. The Director will lead robust recruitment efforts for attracting top talent, expand the professional development program, address employee culture, as well as ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Oversee all Human Resources processes including employee relations and retention, talent recruitment and management, and regulatory compliance.
- Work to build and maintain a positive culture for all levels of personnel in the organization.
- Supervise HR and Operations Teams.
- Supervise operations functions to ensure that facilities needs are being met.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the NYIC’s PEO, which administers payroll and employee benefits programs, including medical, dental, life insurance, and benefit reimbursement programs and coordinates open enrollment periods.
- Maintain complete and accurate personnel files as well as implement any requirements needed for staff funded by government contracts.
- Oversee and implement performance evaluation processes for all employees at the middle and end of the fiscal year, as well as an initial review of new employees’ performance within three months of hire.
- Ensure NYIC’s Employee Handbook is updated and compliant with all regulatory requirements. Update, develop and implement organizational policies as needed.
- Develop and implement a robust talent management program by partnering with executive leadership and program staff, by creating and executing a professional development plan for the organization and individual team members.
- Actively recruit for highly qualified staff for positions in NYC and in locations throughout New York State.
- Coach supervisors on how to effectively manage staff members and personnel matters.
- Schedule and oversee execution of organization and staff retreats. Plan and coordinate team-building opportunities.
- Recruit and manage independent consultants, ensuring that all contractors are properly classified.
- Provide information requested by auditors and government agencies.
- Oversee reporting of staff time for lobbying.
- Support the NYIC’s affiliate organizations, which are organized as 501(c)4 and 527 tax exempt institutions, including the New York State Immigrant Action Fund, with all Human Resources functions as needed.
- 4 – 7 years of Human Resources Generalist experience.
- Experience in a fast-growing non-profit environment.
- PHR/SPHR Certification, a plus.
- Knowledge of HRIS systems.
- Must have excellent written, verbal, organizational, interpersonal, and strong communication skills.
- Experience with developing and implementing HR policies and practices to align with agency vision.
- Experience with conflict management and mediation.
- Experience collaborating with partners and supporting a growing team of talented diverse individuals.
- Ability to multi task several projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be a team player, comfortable taking initiative, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances
- Knowledge of and commitment to social justice and immigrant justice, a plus.
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language spoken in immigrant communities is a plus.
Salary Range: $75,000 to $85,000
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, to [email protected]. All emails must have “Director of Human Resources” in the subject line.
Deadline: Friday, May 3, 2019
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible. No phone calls or emails will be accepted for this position.