Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The NYIC seeks to hire a COVID-19 Economic Recovery and Resilience Fellow to focus on the organization's work in support of immigrant communities across New York State who have been disproportionately impacted by the virus, and often left out of federal and state relief efforts. This is a one-year funded position, with extension of time dependent upon funding.
Reporting to the Director of Immigrant Services Support, this position will focus on the needs of immigrant-owned small businesses and the organizations that serve them, taking a cross-disciplinary approach to supporting the recovery of this sector. In addition, there will be work focused directly on supporting impacted communities through issues like access to benefits and other economic resources. Working in collaboration with colleagues at the NYIC and partner organizations around the state, the Fellow will engage in training, community outreach, materials development, and coalition-building. While the majority of this work will be performed within the Immigrant Services Support team, the Manager/Fellow will also be expected to spend approximately 15% of their time working on policy initiatives, in support of the Vice President of Policy.
- Conduct robust outreach and needs assessment to ensure that services are reaching and responding to the needs of immigrant business owners and communities.
- Maintain regular contact with partner organizations in New York who serve immigrant small businesses and provide economic & resilience resources to community members.
- Manage project implementation including scope, fulfillment of grant deliverables, and project budgets.
- Draft, produce and distribute community education documents
- Engage NYIC member organizations and other partners in large community outreach events, whether online or in person.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with service providers, funders, elected officials, and strategic partners and allies throughout New York State.
- Work with the VP of Policy to develop local and state policy solutions to address barriers for immigrant business owners, and draft relevant policy materials such as, fact sheets, talking points, etc.
- Understand and stay up to date on needs and identify opportunities, if any, where the NYIC can add the most value as it relates to economic recovery and resiliency within the immigrant worker and small business community.
- Three years of relevant experience, including experience with the challenges facing immigrant entrepreneurs and small businesses, and experience with community education or engagement.
- An understanding of the common barriers to service access and integration faced by immigrant communities.
- Experience supervising staff or interns is preferred.
- Highly organized and strong interpersonal skills.
- Team player, comfortable taking initiative and working independently, and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances.
- Passion for immigrant services and social justice.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks.
- Language fluency in Arabic, Chinese, Creole, Russian, Spanish or other language(s) spoken in New York City is strongly preferred.
Salary Range: $60,000+
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] All emails must have “Economic Recovery & Resilience Fellow” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.