About the NYIC
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Director of Political Engagement will manage the NYIC’s overall political engagement efforts, which include building strategic partnerships with legislators and allies; leading the NYIC’s federal, state, and city advocacy efforts; and supervising the organization’s work and political engagement of immigrant communities.
- Works with the Senior Director of Advocacy and the Vice President of Advocacy to prepare and move advocacy priorities and supervises work done on the NYIC’s local, statewide, and federal legislative agendas.
- Identifies opportunities to bring new allies into the NYIC’s work. Form and manage strategic alliances geared towards advancing the NYIC’s federal, state, and city advocacy efforts.
- Manages relationships with allies, partners, and members as campaigns evolve with the support of regional teams across New York State.
- Represents the NYIC as media opportunities arise (print, television, and emerging media).
- Supports fundraising and grant reporting in conjunction with the NYIC’s Development Team.
- Plays a critical role and thinking and executing events necessary for the success of the NYIC’s policy and advocacy agenda.
- At least 3-5 years of experience - experience with immigrant communities and a firm understanding New York State’s legislative system and process is a strong asset.
- Knowledge of and commitment to social justice and immigrant justice, an understanding of challenges facing New York State’s diverse immigrant communities.
- Experience collaborating with multiple, diverse partners; experience working with broad based coalitions is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong communication skills, and comfort with public speaking and meeting facilitation.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks.
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language is strongly preferred.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter with salary requirements, and one brief writing sample to [email protected] All emails must have “Director of Political Engagement” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.