Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Director of Political Engagement will manage the NYIC’s overall political engagement efforts, which include building strategic partnerships with legislators and allies; leading the NYIC’s federal, state, and city advocacy efforts in the legislative arena; and supervising the organization’s work and political engagement of immigrant communities.
- Works with the Vice President of Advocacy to prepare and move advocacy priorities and supervises work done on the NYIC’s local, statewide, and federal legislative agendas.
- Identifies opportunities to bring new allies into the NYIC’s work. Form and manage strategic alliances geared towards advancing the NYIC’s federal, state, and city advocacy efforts.
- Provides strategic guidance on campaign planning including outreach, tactics and escalation that advance advocacy efforts.
- Manages relationships with allies, partners, and members as campaigns evolve with the support of regional teams across New York State.
- Represents the NYIC as media opportunities arise (print, television, and emerging media).
- Supports fundraising and grant reporting in conjunction with the NYIC’s Development Team.
- Collaborates with NYIC’s Policy Team to ensure legislation being advanced by legislators reflects the goals of the NYIC
- Supervises the Political Engagement Associate and works to streamline and operationalize NYIC’s Political Department
- Plays a critical role in thinking and executing events necessary for the success of the NYIC’s policy and advocacy agenda.
- At least 3-5 years of experience - experience with governmental affairs and a firm understanding New York State’s legislative system and democratic process is a strong asset.
- Knowledge of and commitment to immigrant and social justice, an understanding of challenges facing New York State’s diverse immigrant communities.
- Experience collaborating with multiple, diverse partners; experience working with broad based coalitions is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong communication skills, and comfort with public speaking and meeting facilitation.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple tasks.
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language is strongly preferred.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Salary Range: $80,000
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter and a writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line:“Director of Political Engagement”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.