Team: Policy and Programs
Reports To: Senior Director of Membership and Programs
Supervises: Manager of Coordination & Data
New York, NY
Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for approximately 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
Summary of the Position
This is a contract-funded position for a new rapid-response initiative that the NYIC is undertaking to support vulnerable migrants and asylum-seekers throughout New York State. This position will be for a period of one year (August 2023-August 2024) with the potential to extend for two more years, for a total of three years. The continuation of this position beyond three years is contingent upon available funding.
The Director of Policy & Programs, Statewide Coordination will assist in developing and disseminating resources and presentations at in-person and digital events, that are linguistically and topically relevant for immigrant communities. Responsible for internal coordination but also the key programmatic point of contact for subgrantees, I-ARC, and ONA. Ensures that coordination + reporting/tracking are all moving forward. This position will oversee the planning and execution of mass legal and law related events and supervise Manager of Coordination & Data.
The Director of Policy & Programs, Statewide Coordination will report to the Senior Director of Membership and Programs, and will work very closely with both the members of the Policy & Programs and Operations teams, as well as external Salesforce consultants. In addition to building out and maintaining data management practices for the Vulnerable Migrants and Asylum Seekers project, the Data Manager will support data management process and infrastructure development for the organization as a whole.
- Data collection & management for Vulnerable Migrants and Asylum Seekers Project:
- Engage in data management and triage to help program staff ensure that cases are properly routed to pro se (also known as limited scope) representation events, pro bono representation, or direct representation with one of the attorneys in the newly-created legal referral network, depending on the level of need and complexity in each case (note that these determinations would be made based on a universal representation, merits blind system to align with other ONA legal programming).
- Oversee data-management aspects of expanding on the referral system currently being built in conjunction with the New York Legal Response program, to include the ability to make direct appointments with any of the providers chosen as sub-grantees under this program, and any other ONA legal provider that chooses to enroll in the system.
- Collect, aggregate, and report on data to keep the State and other stakeholders informed of the ongoing needs and demographics of persons being served.
- Liaise closely with multiple stakeholders including: several external Salesforce consultants, IT managed services consultants, Operations team, Finance team, Executive Leadership Team, and Policy & Programs Team.
- Other Responsibilities Include:
- Develop organization-wide practices that allow for the collection of accurate data.
- Develop standards of operation when handling and archiving data.
- Designing, developing, and modifying data infrastructure to accelerate the processes of data analysis and reporting.
- Review presentations, graphs, and tables to ensure accuracy and quality.
- Oversee the integration of new technologies and initiatives into data standards and structures.
- Assess system performance and make recommendations for hardware, software, and data storage improvements.
- Ensure data and information security by working with IT managed services consultants and Salesforce consultants to integrate and uphold digital security systems.
- Identify patterns, relationships, and problems in data and statistical sets.
- Determine limitations in data reliability and usability.
- At least five (5) to seven (7) years of professional data management experience, preferably in the nonprofit sector.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and competing priorities and strategize in a rapidly changing environment.
- In-depth understanding of Salesforce, Excel, and other modern database and information technologies.
- Familiarity with Google Workspace and Asana.
- Strong attention to detail is a must.
- Strong communication verbal and written skills to translate complex problems using non-technical terms.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and organize large amounts of data.
- Excellent mathematical, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to compile and organize findings and data retrieved before presenting to management.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working with diverse populations.
- Experience with elected officials, funders, or other high level contacts is an asset.
- Interest in and/or knowledge of the NYIC, its members, or issues affecting immigrants in New York is an advantage.
- Ability to speak another language(s) spoken in New York State is an advantage.
Important facts to know about this opportunity:
- This position is mostly on-site, with a requirement of being in the office 4 days per week and remote 1 day per week.
- The NYIC staff continues to mask while in the office.
- The NYIC has a staff-wide vaccine mandate. Staff must be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination to HR before being onboarded.
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, unlimited paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
**The NYIC has a transparent and equitable salary structure. Starting salaries for each position are set in advance with no room for negotiation.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. All emails must have “Director of Policy & Programs, Statewide Coordination” in the subject line.
Deadline: Friday, September 8, 2023
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible. No phone calls or emails will be accepted for this position.