Team: Policy and Programs
Reports to: Vice President of Policy and Programs
Employment Status: Full Time/Exempt
Salary: $90,000/ year
About the NYIC
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is a policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Director of Healthy Communities will lead the Healthy Communities program within the organization’s Policy department, driving work at the municipal, state, and federal levels to ensure access to safety net programs and high-quality health care including creating a strong & equitable health care system, culturally competent behavioral health, food assistance, affordable housing and other critical resources for immigrant New Yorkers. The Director of Healthy Communities will report to the Vice President of Policy and will be responsible for a range of health policy, advocacy, technical assistance, and training obligations, as well as supervising other staff in the program, managing program budgets, assisting in development for the program and providing overall vision and leadership for the organization’s immigrant health priorities so that everyone, regardless of where they were born or how much they make has access to necessary resources to be healthy and thrive.
- Provide vision and leadership on issues affecting immigrant access to health care, public benefits (housing and nutrition programs), culturally competent behavioral health services, identify systemic problems and define strategies for change, lead health care policy campaigns, and conduct administrative and legislative advocacy.
- Conduct policy analysis on a range of immigrant health issues, including health insurance eligibility, health care financing, housing policy, and public assistance policy.
- Supervise other Healthy Communities staff members.
- Lead meetings and working groups, and engage NYIC member organizations in Healthy Communities trainings and convening spaces.
- Make regular presentations and represent the NYIC at conferences, workshops, meetings, committees, and City and State advisory bodies.
- Contribute to other organizational events and projects as necessary.
- Support the fundraising efforts of the NYIC’s Development team by providing content expertise and meeting grant requirements.
- Manage programmatic expenses including program budget and any other allocations associated with the healthy communities program.
- At least five (5) years of relevant experience in health policy analysis, program/training evaluation, and/or access to services and benefits; focus on immigrant communities strongly preferred.
- Prior supervisory experience strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of the U.S. healthcare system, including the Affordable Care Act and publicly-financed health care programs such as Medicaid.
- Experience working with a diverse coalition and facilitating meetings with diverse stakeholders.
- Fluency in one of the top 6 languages spoken in New York State strongly preferred.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and minor social media skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, good judgment and the ability to work collaboratively in some cases, and independently in others.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing deadlines.
Important facts to know about this opportunity:
- This position is mostly on-site, with a requirement of being in the office 4 days per week and remote 1 day per week.
- The NYIC staff continues to mask while in the office.
- The NYIC has a staff-wide vaccine mandate. Staff must be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination to HR before being onboarded.
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid sick time, unlimited vacation leave, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
**The NYIC has a transparent and equitable salary structure. Starting salaries for each position are set in advance with no room for negotiation.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. All emails must have “Director of Healthy Communities” in the subject line.
Deadline: Friday, December 15, 2023
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible. No phone calls or emails will be accepted for this position.