Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
NYIC’s annual budget is approximately $10 million. Two-thirds of our budget is made up of foundation grants with more than 100 active grants at any given time. The remainder comes from City and State government contracts (approximately 20%), individual giving, and special events.
The organization has grown rapidly in the past few years and leadership has been focused on strengthening our infrastructure to sustain our new size. The Director of Budget is a newly created position as part of our infrastructure-building. NYIC retains an accounting firm to serve as our outsourced CFO, though after the Director of Budget is hired and settled in the role there might be an opportunity to consider bringing more finance capacity in house. NYIC has two existing finance staff people who manage day to day financial functions. NYIC has recently undergone a transition to move away from paper while maintaining strong internal controls: we now use Expensify and bill.com for most payment processing, the organization has adopted Salesforce (currently for development and programmatic work), and we are working on utilizing Intacct to provide financial information for program heads.
The NYIC is seeking a Director of Budget, a new position to support our growing staff by providing financial analysis and ensure strong financial management and stewardship of our resources. Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, the Director will maintain a birds-eye view of revenue and expenses in relation to programmatic and organizational needs, in close partnership with executive leadership, fundraising staff, program staff, and outside accountants. They will also lead financial forecasting, annual budgeting, and monthly and quarterly financial management. The Director will also supervise day to day functions including accounts payable and receivable as well as cash flow.
- Develop and maintain in-depth understanding of NYIC’s finances and programmatic activities.
- Lead annual budgeting process, in conjunction with executive leadership and with outside accountant, for presentation to Board.
- Regularly monitor financial position and recommend strategies to respond to opportunities and challenges that arise. Support financial reporting to Board on a quarterly basis or as needed.
- Provide information to program heads to support them in planning and managing activities. Develop and oversee program budgets, in conjunction with program heads and accountants.
- Oversee budgets and staff allocations for grants and contracts.
- Liaise closely with executive leadership, development staff, program staff, and accountants.
- Oversee reporting of lobbying expenditures and compliance with related regulations.
- Supervise Senior Manager of Finance & Administration, who handles day to day financial management along with Finance & Administration Associate.
- Perform similar functions for affiliated organizations, including our 501(c)4 political arm NYIC Action.
- Five to seven years of professional experience, preferably in nonprofit finance, accounting, budgeting, and / or grants management. Experience managing an organizational budget would be an asset.
- Strong attention to detail is a must, along with the ability to see the big picture and understand the nuance of our programmatic and advocacy work.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills, and the ability to identify potential risks and strategies to mitigate risk.
- Familiarity with technological tools such as Salesforce and/or Intacct is an advantage.
Salary Range: $75,000+
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] All emails must have “Director of Budget” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.