About the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York's diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people's lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations is a new position, created to provide critical support to the Chief of Staff and the NYIC’s executive leadership team. The Deputy Chief of Staff will play a key role in managing and executing inter-departmental campaigns and projects; ensuring accountability, proper communication and clear role division across teams; and developing, implementing, and maintaining organizational systems for goal-setting activities, task, and project management. The Deputy Chief of Staff will play a key role managing and overseeing organizational projects and campaigns for the NYS Immigrant Action Fund, the NYIC’s affiliated 501(c)(4) organization.
- Works with the Chief of Staff and NYIC senior leadership team to coordinate, plan and execute key organizational activities, personnel management, and adherence to strategic plan priorities and annual goals.
- Works with the Chief of Staff in key role to ensure strong internal, cross-team collaboration, communication and execution.
- Supports all of the NYIC Departments by ensuring proper communication with program, administrative, finance and communications teams around goals, deliverables and expectations.
- Plans, implements and maintains new systems of meeting structures, internal communication, and cross-team task and project management.
- Leads efforts, with support from the Chief of Staff, to ensure successful that organizational priorities and all goal-setting activities are done correctly and that goals are tracked properly and reviewed annually.
- Manages debriefs and analysis following organizational events and procedures and ensures “lessons learned” and best practices are implemented
- Actively works to resolve inter-departmental issues and ensures solutions-oriented approach.
- Plays key role with the NYIC’s affiliate 501(c)(4) organization, the New York State Immigrant Action Fund (IA) -- including responsibilities similar to all those listed above, in addition to administrative, bookkeeping and supporting regulatory compliance, such as tracking and reporting lobbying and expenditures
- Supports senior leadership’s efforts to enhance governance of IA by helping to plan agendas for IA Board meetings, developing materials for Board review, and support Board members in their engagement with IA.
- At least 5 years of management experience; work done in a social justice setting is an asset
- Strong management skills and a commitment to goal-oriented approaches and to clarity in roles
- Human resources and personnel management experience is an asset
- Deep understanding of effective and efficient systems and internal structures
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact successfully with diverse personalities and workstyles
- Ability to work strategically and collaboratively across teams
- Action-oriented person with ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail
- Understanding of policy issues affecting immigrants and commitment to immigration as an important social justice issue
- Proficiency in Spanish or another language is an asset .
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line: Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible.