Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Communications Associate is a key member of the New York Immigration Coalition’s Communications team. Duties and responsibilities broadly supports NYIC’s public relations efforts to increase awareness of the organization’s campaigns, activities and programmatic work.
- Assist in the management of NYIC’s social media presence on various platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. as well as implementing NYIC campaigns on social media
- Assist with the development and implementation of Public Relations campaigns and rapid-response in consultation with Internal NYIC team, partner agencies, and/or external PR agencies
- Draft & update press kits, key messages, fact sheets, op-eds, media advisories, press releases, campaign talking points & other collateral material as needed.
- Assist with coordination of media outreach & coverage and distribution of media releases, TV/radio, interviews, feature stories, PSAs, press conferences, etc.
- Manage press database and data entry; provides data analysis of messaging effectiveness, as well as ensures our metrics across platforms are updated regularly.
- Monitor current events and trends in immigration to anticipate potential public statements, dissemination of information and assembling the NYIC’s news clips for distribution to staff
- Coordinate photography for/of campaign-related events, actions, etc. for use in publications, media, etc. and ensure appropriate releases are signed and filed
- Assist with additional duties as necessary
- 1-2 years of experience in working on communication initiatives, relevant writing, communications and media experience, a must
- Strong social media presence, a must
- Strong computer skills, a must
- Experience in graphic design and website maintenance, preferred
- Must have excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, and strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, and manage multiple tasks under deadline pressure
- Meticulous organizational skills, ability to prioritize projects and follow through on detail with high-level accuracy
- Must be a team player and able to adapt as necessary to changing circumstances
- Ability to speak additional languages, a plus
- Knowledge of and commitment to social justice and immigrant justice, a plus
Salary Range: $40,000 to $45,000
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, paid time off, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, to [email protected] All emails must have “Communications Associate” in the subject line.
Deadline: Friday, May 31, 2019
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we are looking for someone to start as soon as possible. No phone calls or emails will be accepted for this position.