Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Communications Associate is a key member of the New York Immigration Coalition’s Communications team. Duties and responsibilities broadly supports NYIC’s public relations efforts to increase awareness of the organization’s campaigns, activities and programmatic work.
- Assists with the development & implementation of Public Relations campaigns and rapid-response in consultation with Internal NYIC team,r partner agencies, and/or external PR agency
- Manages the NYIC’s social media presence on various platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.; implements NYIC campaigns on social media
- Drafts & updates press kits, key messages, fact sheets, op-eds, media advisories, press releases, campaign talking points & other collateral material as needed.
- Assists with coordination of media outreach & coverage with media releases, TV/radio, interviews, feature stories, PSAs, press conferences, etc.
- Cultivates relationships with the media with a focus on ethnic media to increase awareness of NYIC
- Coordinates and executes press events including site coordination and speaker(s) coordination and related activities with internal and external partners and press team
- Manages press database and data entry; provides data analysis of messaging effectiveness and for fundraising purposes
- Monitors current events and trends in immigration to anticipate potential public statements, dissemination of information and assembling the NYIC’s news clips for distribution to staff
- Coordinates photography for/of campaign-related events, actions, etc. for use in publications, media, etc. and ensure appropriate releases are signed and filed
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong interest in immigrant rights and experience working in media with a minimum of one year working experience is strongly desired
- Organized and detail-oriented with strong writing skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborative team player and problem solver with a willingness to learn
- Ability to work effectively with community partners
- Ability to speak additional languages is an asset.
To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample to [email protected] with the subject line: Communications Associate. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged.