Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Communications Associate: Press and Special Projects is a key member of the New York Immigration Coalition’s Communications team. Duties and responsibilities broadly support NYIC’s marketing and public relations efforts to increase awareness of the organization’s campaigns, activities, and programmatic work.
- Assists with the development & implementation of Marketing and Public Relations campaigns and rapid-response in consultation with the Internal NYIC team, partner or member agencies, and/or external consultants.
- Press Relations: Oversees press relations work in key regions and on key campaigns. Responsible for drafting & updating related press statements, key messages, fact sheets, op-eds, media advisories, press releases, campaign talking points or/and other collateral material, as needed.
- Events: Assists or oversees coordination of press conferences, coordinates and operationalizes online and in-person virtual talks (2-4 total annually) and related partnerships, and other communications events and activities, etc to support our list-building and public education goals on issues.
- Monitors current events and trends in immigration to anticipate potential public statements, dissemination of information and assembling the NYIC’s news clips for distribution to staff when the Press Secretary is not available.
- Marketing and Design: Supports in the creation of social media graphics, promotional material for departmental events and projects, reports, etc., as needed.
- Website: Responsible for keeping NYIC’s events calendar updated with key Comms events related to virtual and in-person talks.
- Social Media: Supports our Sr. Digital Associate, as needed.
- Special Projects: Supports and oversees the development of narrative change work and public talks, and related activities, as assigned and needed.
- Administrative responsibilities include ensuring our press list remains updated; and documenting and tracking our list-building efforts, as well as ensuring our powermail mail list remains updated.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong interest in immigrant rights and experience working in media with a minimum of one year working experience is strongly desired;
- Organized and detail-oriented with strong writing and research skills, design aptitude and familiarity and comfortability with social media;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Collaborative team player and problem solver with a willingness to learn;
- Ability to work effectively with a broad array of internal staff, community partners and external agencies; and
- Ability to speak additional languages or website editing skills are an asset.
Salary Range: $50,000 to $51,250
In addition to a competitive salary, NYIC offers a full benefit plan, unlimited vacation leave, paid sick time, commuter benefits and a comprehensive retirement plan.
Deadline: Open until Filled
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line: Communications Associate: Press & Special Projects. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged.